Please let me know the etiquette?

Ringpeace
Ringpeace Posts: 105
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
I'm really upset. I expect most other bike riders coming towards me to be as friendly as I am.

I ride my bike for no other reason than making pals with guys, and girls coming towards me at 20 MPH (+)

What am I doing wrong? I say hi and smile at everyone coming the other way.

Is it the fact that I use lights day and night?

Maybe it's the fact that I haven't a "buddy" that I feel the need to chat to and ride two abreast whilst on a single carriageway with a 30 MPH speed limit.

Could it be that I don't feel the need to wear a helmet on short journeys? Or is it the fact that I am too embarrassed to wear skin tight clothing showing off my gut, ass and maggot?

TBH I am a bit of a bloater - I thought this would help me make friends as I always see overweight, middle aged guys on bikes.

I'm considering giving up cycling - it's not as inclusive as I thought. I'm overweight, bald, with more money than sense and like wearing tight clothes.

Please let me know where I am going wrong. Very upset.

I have done 21 miles and feel like flogging my £2750 bike. Any buyers?

Sad guy with no hellos :( x

Comments

• Brava210
    Brava210 Posts: 64
    Why do you not wear a helmet on short journeys?
    Whats the difference?

People dont nod or wave at me because I ride a Boardman ;)
    Boardman Pro Carbon (Nowt wrong with Boardman)
    Boardman Team Hybrid
    (I need to lose weight)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Is this for real, methinks not. Troll of the day award?
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    You must live in London,

I think there is a law, or at very least a rule, which states you must not engage strangers in conversation....
  • Because you whine like a schoolchild with a skinned knee because people don't acknowledge you?

Exactly how low is your self esteem that you get upset about someone not saying hello just because you're using the same form of transport?
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Sometimes I acknowledge riders sometimes I don't. All sorts of different reasons, such as I don't notice them, I'm putting in an effort, I'm sh@gged out, I've got the hump.

PS I'll give you a fiver for you bike.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Ringpeace wrote:
    I'm really upset. I expect most other bike riders coming towards me to be as friendly as I am.

I ride my bike for no other reason than making pals with guys, and girls coming towards me at 20 MPH (+)

What am I doing wrong? I say hi and smile at everyone coming the other way.

Is it the fact that I use lights day and night?

Maybe it's the fact that I haven't a "buddy" that I feel the need to chat to and ride two abreast whilst on a single carriageway with a 30 MPH speed limit.

Could it be that I don't feel the need to wear a helmet on short journeys? Or is it the fact that I am too embarrassed to wear skin tight clothing showing off my gut, ass and maggot?

TBH I am a bit of a bloater - I thought this would help me make friends as I always see overweight, middle aged guys on bikes.

I'm considering giving up cycling - it's not as inclusive as I thought. I'm overweight, bald, with more money than sense and like wearing tight clothes.

Please let me know where I am going wrong. Very upset.

I have done 21 miles and feel like flogging my £2750 bike. Any buyers?

Sad guy with no hellos :( x

I'll give you £27.50
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Ringpeace, you are the new Yossie :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    I'm with you on the nod/wave/smile at other cyclists - the (usually) pleasant reactions help the ride be more enjoyable. In fact when I'm feeling a bit more chipper, I'd include dog walkers, countryside gardeners and always vehicle drivers that have been patient waiting to overtake.
    Smile and the world smiles with you. Alternatively - Don't let the b******s grind you down. Enjoy the ride!
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    It's funny, we all worry about how pretty our bikes look but in reality I haven't noticed the bike of a single person I've either passed or ridden by in the opposite direction. I see helmet/face/sunglasses combo. Maybe a jersey if the colours are of a local club and then gone.
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    It's funny, we all worry about how pretty our bikes look but in reality I haven't noticed the bike of a single person I've either passed or ridden by in the opposite direction.

Really? I look at bikes to the point of rudeness. Until girls grab me by the chin and say "would you look at something else other than my tubes…"
    A subdued hand wave is sufficient.
    It's simple acknowledgement from cyclist to cyclist.

I sometime yell a 'hello', but I don't really expect a response.

And 'yes' there are various cliques of riders who judge by appearance, same as in any other aspect of society.
    For social riding, local clubs might be helpful, but they can also have their own cliques.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Hmmmm, I dunno. He manage to get "Is it because I jump red lights" in though, to be fair, he seems to have covered most other troll topics in the one post. :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Ultimate troll post... Everything thrown in. A bit like fishing with a stick of dynamite
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bobbinogs wrote:

:D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I think you forgot that you need to wear full team sky kit with matching "bidons" then other cyclists will wave coz they will think you are a pro.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Bobbinogs wrote:

With form for it too.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Sometimes I acknowledge riders sometimes I don't. All sorts of different reasons, such as I don't notice them, I'm putting in an effort, I'm sh@gged out, I've got the hump.

PS I'll give you a fiver for you bike.

good deal, he only paid £500 for it in another post :lol:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    Definitely a troll

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12955607&p=18735025#p18735025
    Read the last 4 paragraphs.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Got to be a UKIP candidate ...
  • StillGoing
    Mikey23 wrote:

???? Don't see the joke there or the need to bring politics into it. The major parties have just had a kicking for not taking UKIP seriously or bothering to listen to the nations frustrations over the lack of attention being given to issues with the European Parliament, the ECHR and immigration. The OP is definitely not someone to be taken seriously.
  • Chunky101
    Chunky101 Posts: 108
    Mikey23 wrote:

Or voter :lol:
  • StillGoing
    Chunky101 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Or voter :lol:

Fek it, I'll wave to him then.