Wheel build

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
So time has finally come to get a new rear wheel.Problem is i cant afford the price of a Hope hub(unless i get a second hand deal,to good to refuse),My thoughts were buy a Shimano XT hub QR,Mavic EN521 rim and take it to the wheelbuilder near me to get it laced up,but i have a year old DT Swiss 465D rim on my bike,would that be good to get laced to a new hub,cut some cost or would it be to flimsy,

really i want something strong.lightish and easy to service,I ride some trail centres natural stuff,not exactly XC but plenty of drops and jumps in my local hills,Plus rocky rooty trails,

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Craig
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What budget do you have?
  • hainman
    I could potentially raise money to buy the hope hub but if it was at a last resort.was hoping the XT was a worthy understudy with my rim or its a whole new build.
    Ilucky if I'm 11 stone so the en521 might be unnecessary.
    In long term I would like something that will take the hits and not need to be trued every month.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Forget the hope hub. Go for the Shimano and get a good build. Better way of spending the money.

I'd be looking at Merlin cycles for a complete wheel.
  • hainman
    Cheers mate.Wheel builder said to get shimano deore or xt and he will lace it to my rim.60 quid should cover it.hes been at this game for decades and is well respected in Scotland
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    hainman wrote:
    Cheers mate.Wheel builder said to get shimano deore or xt and he will lace it to my rim.60 quid should cover it.hes been at this game for decades and is well respected in Scotland

big AL ? I've got an XT hub hardy used if you are interested in saving some cash?
  • hainman
    Aye POAH.Big AL,he told me to buy shimano hub and get it laced to my rim,
    Cheers mate looking for a black hub,noticed yours on PB,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie