MTb for chase trails & the like

postie90
postie90 Posts: 53
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy a new MTb but not sure what to go for, I've a front suspension hybrid giant roam 2 for road use & the local canals etc, I've recently been up to cannock chase trails and want a more suitable bike to go along there trails, there are so many to choose from I'm lost, looking at hard tails & also full suspension
Santa Cruz solo full suspension
Orange clock work pro
Orange crush
Could anyone offer advise on which would suit chase trails, I also holiday in Wales 3 times a yr so would like to check out the trails centres there to....
Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's a fairly wide range.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    What's your budget?

Without knowing much - get out and test some bikes. Choose 26, 650b, 29" wheels. Choose HT & FS. Find the bike type that you like most, then get searching.

A huge range of bikes would be suitable for the trail, what's suitable for you, IMO, is more important.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Personally I would go for a shortish travel full suss. 120-130mm would be pretty ideal for Cannock and other UK trail centres. Maybe 140mm if you want a more all mountain machine.

Orange are very rarely the best bang for your buck and Santa Cruz, whilst lovely bikes, can be very expensive.

What you go for obviously depends on budget and people need more info to give more recommendations.

A 2012/2013 Giant Trance would fit the bill if still available in your size (look on Pauls Cycles). The 2014 is less recommended due to fork.

Also maybe look at the Boardman & Canyon offerings. The Nukeproof Mega TR has a lot of fans at the higher end of the travel range and at c£1,600 looks a great buy.
  • postie90
    chrisw333 wrote:
    Personally I would go for a shortish travel full suss. 120-130mm would be pretty ideal for Cannock and other UK trail centres. Maybe 140mm if you want a more all mountain machine.

Orange are very rarely the best bang for your buck and Santa Cruz, whilst lovely bikes, can be very expensive.

What you go for obviously depends on budget and people need more info to give more recommendations.

A 2012/2013 Giant Trance would fit the bill if still available in your size (look on Pauls Cycles). The 2014 is less recommended due to fork.

Also maybe look at the Boardman & Canyon offerings. The Nukeproof Mega TR has a lot of fans at the higher end of the travel range and at c£1,600 looks a great buy.

I'm not to bothered about budget tbh 2-3k maybe a little more... My local shop has said mentioned a short travel suspension 120mm MTb, that's how I came across the Santa Cruz solo, plus it looks amazing.
    My giant roam 2 is great for road, but take it onto canal toe paths and single trails, it slips and slides all over the place...and not very comfortable, My main squirrel is to have a MTb that will handle anything cannock chase has got to offer, I'm not going to be climbing mountains on it or hurtling down them, it's a new hobby for me, call it a mid life crisis lol, I use to MTb as a kid just loved being out... Something I'd like to get my boy into as he grows up, a place where we can go together and have some thrills...
    I want a good quality well build MTb that will last me a while...
    Cheers
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Personally I wouldn't recommend the Mega TR if most of your riding is at Cannock, it's just a bit to gravity oriented for the relatively flat trails. You might be better off with a 2013 Giant Trance.
    I have owned both bikes and would say the Trance is a better XC bike but the Mega is better when ridden hard on fast, steep, technical trails.
  • postie90
    I've just cone across the specialized bikes, looking on the concept store the trail camber carbon 2014 is on special offer and from what I've read it won mountain bike 2013.... And it looks great to.... Any thoughts on this brand off bike....
  • postie90
    Anyone recomend Santa Cruz bikes, I really like the look off them, yes there at the upper end off the market but I guess you pay for quality..... Has anyone got the highball hard tail.... Or full suspension set ups.... Either the solo or tall boy.
  • Boromedic
    Boromedic Posts: 96
    Hi mate, been to Cannock loads of times and both myself and my best bud have 29" 100mm travel HT's and do everything there with no issues. It's all down to preferences really, a full sus would make some of the rock gardens and drops more comfortable and the climbs aren't so bad so you won't be compromised. My mates bike is a Highball and it's cracking and another guy from work rides a Tallboy and they're great bikes, high price though at times for what you get.

If I were you I'd head to Swinnerton bikes there and hire a few bikes from them (if you buy from there they'll discount the hire from the price) and see what you like. They stock a good range, Giant, SC, Cannondale and if you try HT/FS different wheelsizes you can find what suits you, we could all recommend stuff but you need to find what you prefer really. If you go full sus I can't see you needing more than 120mm at Cannock. Let us know how you get on!
    "I should live in salt for leaving you, behind"

Ghost HTX Actinum 29er
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    If you wanted to go down the Santa Cruz road then the 5010 (Solo) would be a good trail bike

Personally I'd stay away from the shorter travel Cube bikes.. the head angle always seems very steep
  • postie90
    Boromedic wrote:
    Hi mate, been to Cannock loads of times and both myself and my best bud have 29" 100mm travel HT's and do everything there with no issues. It's all down to preferences really, a full sus would make some of the rock gardens and drops more comfortable and the climbs aren't so bad so you won't be compromised. My mates bike is a Highball and it's cracking and another guy from work rides a Tallboy and they're great bikes, high price though at times for what you get.

If I were you I'd head to Swinnerton bikes there and hire a few bikes from them (if you buy from there they'll discount the hire from the price) and see what you like. They stock a good range, Giant, SC, Cannondale and if you try HT/FS different wheelsizes you can find what suits you, we could all recommend stuff but you need to find what you prefer really. If you go full sus I can't see you needing more than 120mm at Cannock. Let us know how you get on!

Cheers for your advise, think I'm gonna try and demo the highball and solo see how I get on.... I really do like the Santa Cruz styles compared to everything else..
  • postie90
    been to look at a demo highball and liked it but also the chameleon to consider.... such a hard choice....
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Chameleon is very different to the Highball. More of a hardcore hardtail. Quite a hards ride.