Shimano 10 speed mtb chain link removal

thebluevoice
thebluevoice Posts: 31
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Never had a cahin break before or used a chain tool...

Had my chain break on me during a ride on Sunday. Have got a replacement chain (Shimano Hg x 95 xt) plus some KMC 10 speed quick links.

I was unable to remove a link at the trail side and can see that the chain tool built into the multi tool is now bent slightly. I presume I did this as applying too much force trying to get the pins out. :shock:

I ordered this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231212675846 from ebay (cheap and nasty I know but thought it might get the job done).

I've tried to remove links on the old chain with this tool (for practice) but have still not been able to get one to budge. All I do is succeed in making stiff links. I did notice that the guides on the tool are a bit too thick for the inner link which makes seating it a bit tricky. The guides on the multi tool allowed proper seating but it's bent slightly so the extending pin is at an angle relative to the chain so it's not useable now.

Is this the reason I'm totally failing?
Do you need incredible amounts of force? (I couldn't turn it any harder!)

I feel pretty useless at the moment as it looks so easy in all the online videos! :?

If it isn't me just being inept (unlikely!) and instead my choice of tool, what tool would people recommend for these shimano 10 speed chains? Something compact (to keep with me out on rides!) and not pricey (hopefully will not have to use it very often - KMC missing link hopefully allowing chain removal for cleaning).

Many thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Buy cheap tools and buy two times.

Yes that tool is that bad.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    I've got a park tools qkct5 which works on 10 speed chains, and is small enough to carry out with you. Just remember to use the right slot, one is for chain breaking, the other for stiff links. (Instructions came with it!)
  • coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    Bent the pin on a top peak multi tool , got the park tool one as above and it is so much easier.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That little Parktools one is a nice bit of kit. I don't use my bigger toolbox one anymore since I got one.
    It's in the thread - a finer thread give you more leverage - shorter movement per turn. The cheap ones have coarse threads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I also have the small parktools one, been great so far.
  • Thanks for the replies everyone.

I went out and got a small park tool one and it works fine - found it very easy indeed, including putting a new pin in :)

At least I wasn't totally a bad workman blaming his tools!

My fingers have also thanked me for getting some chain pliers for undoing KMC links ha!