I'm ill with White coat syndrome

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited May 2014 in The cake stop
just doing my annual 'well man' check and as usual BP high, said they wanted to send me for chest xrays and ECG, asked if I could have a home monitor to try first to see what a daily average was and even though i could feel myself 'tensing up' when the arm band pre-inflated all BP's came back normal - phew! Doc then said, no point in you having your BP done in a docs anymore, buy a boots monitor and take your own before you come and see me in future. Anyone else got White Coat Syndrome :)
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You should try a 24 hour monitor - through the night, every time mine started to inflate, I would wake up with my heart pounding from the noise and the sensation of someone gripping my arm. No wonder the consultant thought my night-time BP was particularly worrying...
  • bianchimoon
    I just did it for 10 hours during the day, my arm was bruised at the end with 30 minute inflation cycle, mind you I did play baseball with the kids with it on
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I had a take home one, where I could use it myself and supposedly at random times of the day. At least then I could try and chill for a few minutes before I took it.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    My wife brings one home from time to time (she's a nurse), it's always good fun to see how high a reading you can get.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Yip, got 'White Coat Syndrome' major way. In the GPs room, i can hit 180/100 no problem. At home with one of these little monitors from Boots, no worries 120-130/80-82. Frustrating as just moved home so new surgery, new people to convince, new set of prove-it records to prepare and submit. Is all in the mind.
  • KINGGARY
    KINGGARY Posts: 89
    Yep I get this, I can actually feel my blood pressure rising when they bring the cuff out!
    I had to buy my own monitor and record the results several times a day to convince my GP I Didn't need treating for high blood pressure.
    I had an operation a few years ago and it took some convincing during the pre-op that I was ok. I asked them to give me a mild sedative and 30 mins later it was ok again.
  • bianchimoon
    I did notice each time i took it my normal resting pulse rat of 60 went to over 70, does the constriction of the armband raise the pulse rate or is that me getting stressed with it? hmm
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I also have white coat syndrome. My diastolic reading (the lower figure which my doctor says is the most important) tends to be around 95-105 when checked in the surgery. Had a 24 hour monitor a couple of times over the past 10 years and both times the average was acceptable (low to mid 80s).

Doctor suggested getting a Boots monitor to keep an eye on things at home and I find it useful. Interestingly, I find I can reduce pressure if it gets a bit high by cycling and running more and losing a bit of weight.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    So every time you are "stressed" your BP is too high, perhaps it does need treatment? I guess depending how often your stressed.
  • bianchimoon
    FatTed wrote:
    So every time you are "stressed" your BP is too high, perhaps it does need treatment? I guess depending how often your stressed.

That's why you have the monitor on at home, Normal working/exercising daytime BP fine but in a clinical seting High