Brake pads replacement problem

Dodgysailor
Dodgysailor Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I want to replace the brake pads for my Hayes nine hydraulic brakes. I noticed that one of the cylinders that push the pads is slightly deployed and I am unable to fit the pads. But even if I could I would not have room for the disc as the pads would be almost touching. What is the best way to put the cylinder back in place ?
Thanks!

Comments

• bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    push it back in with a tire lever after giving it a good clean and a couple drops of brake fluid to lubricate it.

I used this guide to do mine.
    http://bennosblogandmore.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/how-to-service-hydraulic-calipers-and.html
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi all,
    I want to replace the brake pads for my Hayes nine hydraulic brakes. I noticed that one of the cylinders that push the pads is slightly deployed and I am unable to fit the pads. But even if I could I would not have room for the disc as the pads would be almost touching. What is the best way to put the cylinder back in place ?
    Thanks!
    Sounds like they have been bleed with the pistons not fully retracted. So too much fluid in the system.

You need to let some out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    Before you go letting fluid out/air in id suggest pressing pistons back into calipers with something suitable. Hayes suggest a 9mm spanner which I found works very well to lever them back in. You might have to improvise holding one back whilst you press the other. They do need a firm force but not brutal.

HTH

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I've always had this problem when replacing brake pads and more often than not I end up sanding down the pads slightly just so I can squeeze the disc between the new pads. Then I let a few drops of brake fluid seep out from the bleed screw so the wheel can spin.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Thanks for the quick replies! I will start trying push it back into the original position, it looks the easiest thing to try. If it fails then I will try the other suggestions.
    Thanks