Damaged Helmet - advice needed

gattocattivo
gattocattivo Posts: 500
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I bought a Giro Ionos helmet a little over two years ago. It's become slightly damaged:
IMG_0833_zpscf505fd0.jpg

At the back two plastic parts should clip together (as they do on one side, part 2). But on the other side the little piece of plastic that goes through the hole (grey through black) has snapped off, leaving this side free to move around (part 1). I can still secure the helmet to my head well enough (I think) by tightening part 3.

Should I....
a) see if I can get a replacement part from the manufacturer? (I might have the receipt somewhere)
b) buy a new helmet?
c) not worry about it and carry on using it?

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I would send that photo to the manufacturer/distributor and shop you bought it from on one email.
    That way one of them should sort it out.

an ill fitting helmet is as bad as not wearing one and definitely needs fixing.
    Would be a shame if no-one can help.

Keep the thread updated

Matt
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    a)

If (a) doesn't work and its still secure on your head then (c). If not then (b).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    What makes the helmet secure on your head ...?

IMHO it should be that you can undo the straps, lean forwards so you're looking at the ground, shake your head and the helmet stays on.

But that's not necessarily correct!
  • gattocattivo
    matt-h wrote:
    I would send that photo to the manufacturer/distributor and shop you bought it from on one email.
    That way one of them should sort it out.

I'll try that and let you know...
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Slowbike - you forgot to add that he should video it and pt it on YouTube and send us the link here so we could, er, provide feedback.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    I've had exactly the same problem (on both sides now) - but I've fixed it by using thread to tie the harness on to the adjuster. I don't get any adjustment now (I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I don't need to anyway) and I've completely forgotten about it when I wear it.

In general, I'd like to see helmet manufacturers offering harnesses/straps for sale.

And yes, keep us posted on how you get on.
    The problem with suppliers providing parts is that there will be some numpty's who do not put them together correctly. This is something that the manufacturers do not have control over and so don't do it.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Some Giros do that. I felt that it didn't affect the security in anyway and used a small cable tie.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Same thing happened to miy Ionos on both sides. I opted for choice c) as the helmet still seemed very secure on my head. Probably sould've done a) though!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • gattocattivo
    I'm thinking the thread/cable tie option might be considerably less hassle than trying to find a receipt from two years ago and contacting the manufacturer
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Keith1983 wrote:
    The problem with suppliers providing parts is that there will be some numpty's who do not put them together correctly. This is something that the manufacturers do not have control over and so don't do it.

yet spare parts for bikes are freely available, down to the last nut and washer! lets hope these numpties dont get their hands on them. :D

i suspect the real reason is that giro want you to buy a new helmet at £100+

i had a similar problem with a rudy project helmet. i got no response from the distributor so i araldited the parts together. its been fine since.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • gattocattivo
    See if you can spot the 'repair' I have carried out. It's very subtle, but if you look closely you might spot it:
    photo_zpsc5335f42.jpg
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    Nice :-)
    Black thread would've been more aero
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    You can buy a complete new 'roc loc' adjuster. Just google 'Ionos roc loc 5 replacement'

Or look here: http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Retention-System-Pneumo-Atmos/dp/B00BX3VSZ4
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Will that string hold so well when you are bouncing down the trail/road on your head? It might hold for general riding but not when you really need it.
  • You need carbon fibre....
    All the gear, but no idea...