Tiagra 9 speed triple FD / Top pull

scooterb
scooterb Posts: 90
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi , I need to change my current Bottom pull Tiagra 9 speed triple Front mech to a top of the same version (tiagra)

Trouble is I cant seem to find one anywhere? Mine is a 31.8mm clamp on but can also use a braze on with an adaptor.

The reason I want to use Tiagra is because ive just recently changed to over to this group set, but now im moving it all to a different frame with Top pull routing so I just want to keep it Tiagra to avoid any issues.

My Chainrings are 48/36/26 .

Can anyone point me in the right direction for one of these please :?:

Thanks Scott.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tiagra is now 10 speed. A 10 speed one will work, or a Sora 9 speed one. Or an MTB one. Choice is yours.
  • scooterb
    Ok thanks,
    So did they ever make a Tiagra top pull triple 9 speed ?

And do you have any recommendations on a MTB one?

Cheers .
  • scooterb
    This would be ideal but its a bottom pull :cry:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds

And also I see this - No pictures but isn't this one ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Tiagr ... 7675.l2557
  • njee20
    Missed the top pull bit. All road mechs will be bottom pull, unless you use some sort of converter which is a faff.

Just get a Deore one.
  • scooterb
    Oh ok ,
    Thanks that will save me the time searching for something that doesn't exist and ive learned something useful today aswell.

Cheers.

An update on my build and gearing etc, Its a trek hybrid frame 7.2 fx, Using for a tourer and im running -
    Tiagra 9 speed triple shifters
    Shimano Deore sgx Chainrings - 48 / 36 / 26
    Shimano rear cassette 11-32
    Tiagra 9 speed rear mech ( medium cage I think ? jockey wheels = 80mm CtoC
    Tempory old shimano front mech which is working ok.

So my issue now is that when I change into the granny ring and the two largest rear cogs (32 & 28) the jockey wheel rubs against those two cogs ?
    Ive tried all adjustments and have the chain at the correct length but no luck , so im thinking if im correct? that I need a Long cage rear derailleur ? possibly 120mm jockey wheels CtoC .

What do you think?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I didn't think an MTB one would work with Tiagra (road) shifters - thought the cable pull was different.
  • scooterb
    Oh Crumbs !

You mean if get a Deore Mtb long cage rear mech (as above) that it might not be compatible with my tiagra 9 speed shifters ?
  • supersonic
    I didn't think it was, no.
  • njee20
    It'll be fine. In fact 9 speed MTB mechs work with 10 speed road shifters, exactly the same pull. Front mechs are slightly different, but not enough to actually be a problem.
  • supersonic
    Fine tolerances though on how well a front mech works - thought the pull ratio was 50% different here! Personally I wouldn't.
  • scooterb
    Ok ,
    So as a refresher I have -

Tiagra 9 speed triple drop bar shifters
    Deore lx hollowtech II MTB cranks
    Shimano sgx chainrings 48 / 36 / 26
    Tiagra 9 speed rear mech (road medium cage)
    Tempory old shimano front mech

At the moment my problem is the jockey wheel touching the two largest cogs on the cassette when its in the granny ring on the front.

So would any of these be ok for shifting and for solving the rubbing jockey wheel ?

Front mech - http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:221478

And choice of rear mechs - http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:516112

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:368017

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:287595
  • supersonic
    Have you tried adjusting the B tension screw on the rear mech?
  • scooterb
    Yeah ,
    it didn't seem to do much ? well not enough bring it away .

What actually does that screw do? does it tension the spring inside which would make it sit more forward or backward?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try a longer screw. It gets the mech into the best position for clean shifting - close to the cog but not touching, obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • scooterb
    Ok , ill give it go tomorrow with a longer screw and fresher head.

Cheers .
  • njee20
    supersonic wrote:
    Fine tolerances though on how well a front mech works - thought the pull ratio was 50% different here! Personally I wouldn't.

Nah, they changed slightly on the newer 10 speed road groups, but only slightly. The only other option is to use an adapter. Speen are the only company I can recall to make one.

FWIW I ran a Dura Ace 10 speed double front mech on an MTB and it was absolutely fine.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    The Shimano FD-CXab series front derailleurs are available as top pull for drop bar cyclo-cross bikes. The FDs are optimised for doubles but can be made to work on triple chainrings, however, the FD chainline is very narrow (typically 43.5mm but can be modified by filing to accommodate a 45mm chainline) so may not work on 50mm chainline mtb cranksets unless you are able to pull the chainrings inboard.

The next best option is to change the direction of pull by using an adapter.

The most elegant way is something similar to the Speen adapter, however, functionally better would be to use a clamp-on cablestop on the seat tube with a v-brake noodle going into it to handle the curve of the cable outer.

A CX cable route adapter (a seat tube clamp with a pulley wheel attached to it) will work but does get clogged up with mud a lot.