budget full sus options

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering getting a full susser.

I ride trail centres, so nothing extreme, however I'd like something that keeps me comfortable at fairly decent speeds and is able to take the odd drop and jump without squirming all over the place. I was thinking that something in the region of 140mm travel would be ideal. I'd also like a head angle that is more trail orientated that xc.

I've been looking closely at the rockrider 9.2 from decathlon. It has 130mm at the front and 120mm at the rear. It has good reviews from what I've seen and is good value for money. I'm just worried it's not quite got the amount of travel or slightly slacker head angle I wanted. For £1100 though it beats alot of others in spec and price.

Coming from a rockrider 8.1 hardtail I'm probably going to notice a huge difference?

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Are you planning on keeping the hardtail as a second bike? If not, could be worth looking at frames and swapping everything over. You might end up with a better bike while spending less.
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    Hadn't thought about that option. Would have to buy frame, forks and shock to get the kind of travel I want, and would original wheels be up to it? Then there's new seatpost if its not the same fitment. Probably cheaper to buy a whole bike and sell the old one.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Forget suspension travel. Geometry and suspension quality have much more effect on how a bike rides.
    My Mega onky has 130mm rear suspension but it ride like a much bigger bike and feels much better on technical trails than my mates Trek Remedy which has 150mm because it's slacker, has a better rear shock, wider bars and a much shorter stem and a longer top tube.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    2nd hand maybe? Pink bike has great value stuff, as well as the classifieds