nukeproof quieting down free hub?

mc_hawkings24
mc_hawkings24 Posts: 51
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i just wondered if i could swap out the free hub for a quiet free hub or would just need to buy another
hub altogether

thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You could add more grease but that could cause problems with the pawls not returning fully.

Buy a different wheel. Most are just as bad.

Don't stop pedalling.

Live with it you soon will not notice it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It shouldn't be too noisy. Strip it, clean it and grease it. Don't over grease though.
  • Its fairly new and its fairly loud you can hear me coming. All my other bikes have been near silent
    but maybe there isn't enough grease in the hub? I'll try greasing it but i did read to much grease could
    cause what nick said. If i can't quieten it down what hub should i look at for a near silent one
    or complete rear wheel?

thanks
  • I took the cassette and freewheel off just now found there was only a smidge of grease in there so packed it up alittle with lm grease. Its near silent now and so much better so thats a few more changes added to the list.
    Fitted new bars and a longer stem and set the bike up properly and now i love the bike :-)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mega, Scalp or Pulse?
  • Mega tr 275
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Whilst you've got it apart check that you've got the steel drive ring on the freehub, they had some with alu drive rings that obviously gave up after about 3 months!!!

Personally I'd just stick the wheels on ebay and buy some dtswiss or shimano if you want quiet.