Breaking the 50 mile marker...

lm_trek
lm_trek Posts: 1,470
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
or the 50 mile marker broke me, can't think which it is at the moment!!

My road biking history isn't great so was after some advice?

I started off on a Giant Rapid - hybrid great little bike and got me into road biking as a fitness bonus to my mountain biking, I gradually found the rapid wasn't rapid enough for me and I ran out of gears fairly quickly when at speed.

So I upgraded to a Canyon Roadlite, carbon forks, so was a massive difference to my biking, much faster and lighter bike than the giant and its a great bike.

Over the last few weeks ive been building up mile markers with the aim to get to 100miles preferably without killing myself. I hit my first 50 since last year today, and I ache a fair bit, but its not my legs its my arms. The bike is the correct reach and height etc.. its more to do with the state of the roads. Started looking at a speshi Roubaix as my next bike, will this be more comfortable than the current bike? is there anything else I could try wider tyres maybe? currently run gatorskins at 25mm on mavic aksium rims.

Comments

• rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Have you 100% checked your bike is fitted correctly to your body? Its just that Canyon bikes are chucked out of the factory usually in a race mode and things like stem length, bar width, bar drop, spacers, seat height, saddle position, crank arms etc have an effect.

Where on your arms do you ache? Usually upper arms into the top shoulders means your too low, narrow and stretched for long runs, and you wont be used to it.

In terms of comfort, that's usually only the arse and sometimes wrists. Comfy tyres like GP4000s 25C and a different saddle will help. Check your tyre pressure isnt too high aswell.

The Rodelite is supposed to be reasonably comfy in terms of transfer of vibration etc.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Saddle I swapped for a Speshi BG one, and yep had a bike fit with the bike not long after getting it, flipped the stem, changed seatpost and angle of the bars, on short rides up to about 30miles and its no problem its the longer rides ive started to do.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Yes, arm and shoulder pain can be a problem if you don't do other exercise / work that uses those muscles.
    Try doing a daily set of push-ups to build strength.

And consider adjusting the height and tilt of the handle bars in the stem.
    And perhaps change the position of the brake hoods, including the amount of 'inward' tilt to give comfortable hand position.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    lm_trek wrote:
    Saddle I swapped for a Speshi BG one, and yep had a bike fit with the bike not long after getting it, flipped the stem, changed seatpost and angle of the bars, on short rides up to about 30miles and its no problem its the longer rides ive started to do.

pain in the lower arms can be down to the angle of the leavers and wrist. as Jay said above make sure your hoods are level and leavers are in a correct distance from the bar. Your wrists shouldn't be turned upwards, there should be a line flowing off your arm onto the thumb.

If its upper arms and shoulders, and your distances are correct, then its just a case of conditioning. As Jay said above Try doing press-ups and weight work on your arms and shoulders.
  • corkyballs
    corkyballs Posts: 86
    Strength in your arms and shoulders is only part of the equation, Google "core body strength exercises". In basic terms you should aim for your torso's strength to be able to support your upper body with your arms just being there for support. Prolonged downhill stints with heavy braking requires strong arms, shoulders and wrists.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650
    The more you ride the stronger your lower back will become which in turn will support you more and put less strain on the arms.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Are you gripping the bars and pulling/using your upper body when riding 'normally'. If it's yes then it's could be either that you are tense when riding and absorbing all the road shock or a lack of pedelling technique means you are using your upper body too much rather than your legs.
    Make sure your arms are bent to absorb the vibration and stay relaxed, don't grip the bars too hard. Also try to pedal smoothly.
    If you have seen the film Scaramouche with Stuart Granger "A sword is like a bird, grip it too tightly and you will kill it. Hold it too loosely and it will fly away". You are probably not going to take part in any sword play with Stuart but handle bars are pretty much the same.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    whoof wrote:
    If you have seen the film Scaramouche with Stuart Granger "A sword is like a bird, grip it too tightly and you will kill it. Hold it too loosely and it will fly away"...

Was it a sword made of pork?
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Make sure your arms are bent to absorb the vibration and stay relaxed, don't grip the bars too hard. Also try to pedal smoothly.
    +1 If you feel you are clenching the bars, white-knuckled to pull yourself up the climbs or accelerate on flats, you have to learn to relax, wiggle your fingers a bit to relieve ensign.
  • just buy the roubaix ;)
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530