Full suspension mtb for taller riders

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

In the near future I will be looking for a full suspension bike, I'm between 6' 3" / 6'4" I know I can get a L or XL frame but which manufactures make bike more suited to the taller rider, I haven't got a massive budget like some but I would like to make sure that what I get will stay with me for some time and poss up grade bits as I go.

Thanks for any advise in advance.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    There's quite a few out there that are fine for taller riders. (I'm 6'4") But depending on where your height is (legs or torso) some will fit better than others. I ride a Transition Bandit XL and it's great. Giant do a very good (for me) range of larger sized full sussers, Trek are pretty good as well. Yeti come up quite well etc.etc. Best bet is to get yourself to a decent shop or to a demo day (there's plenty going on at this time of year) and throw your leg over a few and see what works for you.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have a few friends who are similar height to you and they all seem to have Treks (all 26" wheels as well) and have all had Specialized in the past.
    Nukeproof also do an XL size Mega but it's quite a small XL.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All about trying them. That height is only 5 inch above average, many will fit!
  • iwilldoit
    Thank you all for the replies.

That's one of my biggest problems really is I live in mid Wales and have loads of great riding but there aren't that many good shops with demos close to me, I think it's Lesuire Lakes is one that I see doing demos and there around 80 miles away.

So the better info I can get of taller riders the better I will know the right direction to go, I have a XL Specialized Carve Expert at the moment and that is super comfy for me no aches or pains after long runs etc and know I'm over 50 that's real good for me :)
  • lostboysaint
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Thank you all for the replies.

That's one of my biggest problems really is I live in mid Wales and have loads of great riding but there aren't that many good shops with demos close to me, I think it's Lesuire Lakes is one that I see doing demos and there around 80 miles away.

So the better info I can get of taller riders the better I will know the right direction to go, I have a XL Specialized Carve Expert at the moment and that is super comfy for me no aches or pains after long runs etc and know I'm over 50 that's real good for me :)

Is 80 miles really such a big deal if you're going to be spending quite a good chunk of money on whatever you buy? Not to mention the time investment in it when you ride it. A couple of hours in a car to make sure you get thousands of hours of comfortable cycling is hardly a big deal is it?!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • iwilldoit
    No the travelling isn't the problem as long as what your looking at is going to suit, as you say a Nukeproof is on the small side for a XL, so if you travel 80 miles to try one not knowing it's smaller and wouldn't be any good it's a waste of time and money.
    So the better I know which bikes will suit then I can go a try them and whittle it down to the one I would like
  • lostboysaint
    Leisure Lakes are quite a big outfit. Just ring them (an outdated concept I know) and say "what have you go in that's a full sus in XL that I can throw my leg over or go for a spin on" and sort yourself out your own demo day. I'm always amazed at the lengths that some retailers and distributors will go to in order to make a sale, especially moving demo bikes around the country. Just use your phone and email foo to your advantage.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    Could be worth trying out a Trek or two at Bike Park Wales
  • iwilldoit

That's a good idea as when you try some bikes from shops in built up areas sometimes a bit of a waste of time, riding around roads/streets for half an hour not really showing you to much.
  • rockmonkeysc
    iwilldoit wrote:

That's a good idea as when you try some bikes from shops in built up areas sometimes a bit of a waste of time, riding around roads/streets for half an hour not really showing you to much.

Plus you can have a crack at the big gap jumps and not worry about breaking your own bike!
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit wrote:

Plus you can have a crack at the big gap jumps and not worry about breaking your own bike!

Ahhhh what excuse would I use then for not doing it, " I would only I don't want to damage my bike " :shock: :D