New bike, or fix up the hardtail for the commute?

Zaspath
Zaspath Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

I have a Norco Hardtail as shown here: http://www.norco.com/archives/2010/?id=kokanee, I've recently taken it on with some Schwalbe HURRICANE tyres as my commuter bike (I do 60 miles a week). The rear wheel has been on the way out for a while (Shimano MT15), had a few spokes replaced and now two more have broken... the route is mostly road with a mile or so on a single track cycle path, for obvious reasons it's quite a heavy bike for the route... so my quandary is, do I get a new wheel, cassette and chain (both also worn) or do I get a new bike that's more road worthy?

On the absolute cheap end we're talking £100 to fix up... it's probably false economy, but it's the cheap option. I'm a big guy at 6ft4 with large build, so I feel like I need a bike that can take some punishment, I'm really only likely to use the bike to get to and from work.

I don't have a lot of cash and taking the bus is really torturous ... Any suggestions? I looked at the Boardman MX 14, due it's reasonable price and spec (although I'm quite the beginner on knowing my gear).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    TBH, I'd fix the hardtail - especially if it's only to get to work and back and cash isn't plentiful.

If it's that bad to ride then perhaps see if your workplace do a cycle-to-work scheme - it may work for you. Otherwise I'd probably still look at the least expensive bike I could get that rolls ...
  • Zaspath
    Fair point on fixing the hardtail, could also look into cycle-to-work, not sure if my new job is a member. Thanks.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    if your commute was a fair bit longer or you were interested in anything other than just getting to/from work as cheaply as possible then a new bike would be worth it financially ... IMHO.

Head on over to the Commuting section though ... :)
  • Zaspath
    Missed that, thanks again.