Cinder trails

Legobrickman
Legobrickman Posts: 36
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Would anyone recomend or not recomend riding a road bike on a cinder trail? How much damage would it do to the drive train?

Comments

• Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I've stayed off the trails around me on the road bike, although I do occasionally (not at all often) see others on road bikes on them - as oxoman suggests, punctures are the reason I steer clear. My boss assured me it'd be fine when he first bought his road bike, but after two flats in three rides (less than a mile on the trails), he doesn't go on them any more.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I can't see it doing any harm to the drive train unless it's wet and you're getting a grinding paste on the chain.
    Decent tyres and you should be fine.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes chain wear will increase if wet or dusty with a sticky chain covered in conventional lube.

Ever heard of cyclocross and gravel racing?

There isn't really a great deal of difference between a mountain bike drivetrain and a road drivetrain.

It's mainly tyre choice that is the limiting factor and on a road bike you often have limited clearance. I rode this segment http://www.strava.com/segments/2076251 while there was ice on the ground on 23mm tyres I really should have had my mountain bike and Snow Studs, it would have been much more fun.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.