Where to go in Europe in September for Cycling Holiday

sherer
sherer Posts: 2,460
edited October 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi

I'm off for a week in September and am looking for somewhere decent to go for a cycling holiday. Did this a few years ago and went to Gran Canaria which was great for the cycling but as we are two young single blokes we also want somewhere with a bit of nightlife in the evening. At that time of year GC is dead.

My mates ability is less than me so going to the Alps or high mountains is out.

Am thinking of either Barcelona or Nice, Monaco way but am open to other suggestions.

What I'm looking for is somewhere with some decent hills but where we can also do some easier routes, my mate struggled a bit in GC last year. Also need somewhere with decent nightlife that won't be dead in September.

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Friend of mine did a tour of the Czech republic last year starting in Prague and finishing in Vienna. Talked about it for days after and had some great snaps.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • phippss
    phippss Posts: 96
    Picos de europa, a great mix of mountains and coastal roads. A quite area of Spain and a bit different. For idea have a look at iberocycle web site they do tours in that region. :D
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Mallorca?
  • sherer
    Thanks for the advice. Should have also said we want to be based in the same place for the whole trip so touring isn't really an option.

Thanks for the suggestion Phipps but a quiet area of Spain doesn't fulfil the nightlife we are after too.

What's Mallorca like in September ? Would be great in August but neither of us can get time off then. Based on the Canaries I know they get a lot quieter hence we were thinking about a larger city like Barcelona as more likely to still have a decent vibe at nightlife
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    sherer wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. Should have also said we want to be based in the same place for the whole trip so touring isn't really an option.

Thanks for the suggestion Phipps but a quiet area of Spain doesn't fulfil the nightlife we are after too.

What's Mallorca like in September ? Would be great in August but neither of us can get time off then. Based on the Canaries I know they get a lot quieter hence we were thinking about a larger city like Barcelona as more likely to still have a decent vibe at nightlife

The resorts will be quieter than high summer, but not dead, especially during the first two weeks of the month. Palma is a great (small) city with lots going on, feels like a mini Barcelona in many ways.

Barcelona itself is fantastic but you would need to cycle a fair distance each day just to get in and out the city and into decent riding countryside. The traffic can be quite bad too. Or you catch a train in and out, I suppose.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Going to the Nice area could be a good idea. The weather in September is good and there's plenty going on for nightlife. One suggestion might be to base yourself in Vence. It's a big enough town for nightlife, is within just a few miles from Nice and is right at the start of some of the best cycling country I've ever been to. Ride north out of town up the Col de Vence and there's some truly spectacular riding.

All the area north of Vence towards the start of the Alps is cycling heaven. I can recommend the Gorges du Loup, Col de Bleine, Clue de St Auban, Clue d'Aiglun, Greolieres, Gourdon and the cols du Buis, de Felines and much more. Quiet roads, great scenery and far better for cycling than the Med coast which is really built up and busy. St Paul de Vence is a pretty tourist hill town with plenty going on.
  • sherer
    I'm on the other side of Nice at the moment down there Menton and it does look like a pretty good place to come later on in the year when I have my bike.

We left the airport and came up the famous Col D'Eze which made me think of this area. Nice is a big town so should still have some nightlife later on in the year and there are plenty of good climbs but I don't think anything too taxing that my mate can't get over.

Will do a bit more research on this all depends and flights and pricing too.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Make mine Majorca, as someone once said. I fact that's where I am going in September.
  • insella
    insella Posts: 37
    September is time for the Prosecco GF, not too hard in rolling hills and might be an interesting event to participate in (and get the t-shirt). Look at Valdobbiadine, Montello, Asolo for ideas on the roads, hills and nature. Check out Bassano del Grappa for night life, or Venice! Even Treviso, which is a rugby-adoring town. Ryanair fly here. There are loads of B&B's and small hotels in which you can base yourself. Summer is cooling in September to make perfect cycling weather.

Perpignan is a great area too.
  • sherer
    think I might stick with the original choice of Barcelona, there are some interesting ideas but if the dates work out, we can fit in a game at Camp Nou as well which I think will swing the trip.

Just need to find a decent hotel in Barcelona that will let us keep bikes in the room or has secure storage.

We can get the train out of town in the morning for rides and even have an easy first day in Montjuic Park, although that has a few hills too.
  • whoof
    When I stayed in Barcelona we kept our bikes in the room, wasn't a brillant Hotel although the as many croissant as you could eat breakfast was OK as was the evening set menu; starter, rabbit stew with mussels, ice cream and 1/2 a bottle of wine for 10 euros.
    Best to check with the hotel in advance regarding storage

Also if you are getting the train out of the city you may not be able to take bikes at peak times.
    http://www.uab.cat/servlet/Satellite/by ... 79730.html
  • sherer
    don't worry my friend and me never get up early. Will be 11:00 ish by the time we head out on our bikes. Downside of that is we end up cycling through the warmest part of the day
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Ive had Sardinia and Corsica recommended to me but Corsica is a very tough option.Coastal Sardinia is on my own wishlist and more within my own comfort zone more than Corsica which is more rugged.When I was on a group cycling in holiday in Poland .I had lots of good reports of Sardinia from others who had been there in September .The coastal area would have some nightlife I would sumise..
    jc
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm hoping to go to Gran Canaria (again) in October, obviously a little later than September. Last year the temperature was just about bearable for me, so September would likely be too hot. However, October was hot enough for sub bathing (for the women) so its the perfect time for both of us to go there and do our respective thing.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sherer
    may add Sardinia to the list for another year. Think we are set on Barca now.

GC is fantastic for cycling. Great weather and some really testing climbs, also managed to find a not too taxing coastal road between Play Del Ingles and Puerto Rico which was good for an easier day. Hopefully will go back next year but my mate wants to try somewhere different
  • lambkin
    lambkin Posts: 16
    There is only one clear option - Palma. Mallorca is the biking venue. There is a reason Brad & the boys go out pre-season. Great nightlife and brilliant routes, flat or mountains all within easy reach.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    September is hardly the off season. Sure, it's not super-peak school holidays crazy busy season, but I doubt anywhere is going to be 'dead'.

+1 on going to Palma, a lovely city.
  • sherer
    good point, I did look that up at one point may have to give that another look when I see my mate next.
  • sherer
    well we've finally settled on a week in the second half of Sept, unfortunately FC Barcelona are playing away that week but should still have a good time.

Just need a bit of help with choosing the hotel
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Mallorca, no competition.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • sherer
    settled on Barcelona now, going to book it today or tomorrow. Have looked at the Volta Catalunya and going to try out Vallter 2000 from the earlier on in the season, keeping that as a surprise as I don't think my friend can make it to the top.

Train to Girona is only 30 mins, could base ourselves there but my mate wants the sights and nightlife in Barcelona.
  • durhamwasp
    Nice one, look forward to hearing about it when you get back!

How is Barcelona for cycling out of towards the climbs and routes? Not too busy?

Fantastic city, you'll have a great time.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • whoof
    We rode from France to Barcelona down the coast through the delightfully named Tossa Del Mar and found that the nearer we got to Barcelona the busier it got. The train out might be a good option. I would suggest that you look at the proximty of your hotel to the nearest station. We stayed a couple of streets from the Ramblas and were only 5 minutes from the nearest station.
    Barcelona is nice, it's got a bit of something for everyone: nightlife, art/museums, shops, beaches. Go to the food market, great building and excellent fruit smoothies.
  • sherer
    we are near the Diagonal. Don't think that is too far from the station and Girona is only 30 mins away by train. Think the only local riding we will do is to Montjuic that I have planned for a first day of riding just to ease into it, although I know from before that can be quite hilly.

Really looking forward to the trip now and will post details later. Getting a few rides sorted but just sort of playing it my ear until I get out there and see the landscape. Search function on here has given me some places to head to now.

Now just need to think do I need the Garmin purchase for mapping while we are there.
  • durhamwasp
    I spent a summer working along the coast from Tossa del mar, in Palamos. Beautiful Spanish area and evenly split between Barcelona and Girona, tho probably too far to go for a night out! Platja d'Aro did have a decent nightlife tho, bars, clubs and a lot of Dutch!
  • sherer
    well i'm back now and have to say I had a great time.

It's a very cycling friendly city but the centre isn't great for road cycling in the centre. The cycle paths are more for mountain bikes of the cycle hire scheme they have. If you need to follow them stick to the actual road in places.

Went up to Montjuic Park which was great and good riding just a shame on that day we had rain and it was a bit cold. If you head out along the coast and then onto Badelona and cut inland there is some very good riding.

Main issue I had was my mate had crashed a day before we left for the trip. Unfortunately he didn't get back on and the crash has scared him off riding now so we didn't really do much but I would head out there again and do some riding.

Getting the train to Girona proved to be a bit of a nightmare as not all stations take bikes and it isn't clear which ones do and don't.
  • Sorry it wasn't as good as you hoped. I should have seen your post earlier! Next time, base yourselves a little out of Barcelona but on the train line, 'Rodalies' line is a good one. That way you'll get maximum exposure to traffic free, rolling hills cycling, have no issue with bike storage and only be a half hour max on the train to enjoy your evenings out. Think La Garriga, Granollers etc. I`m an hour by train out of BCN and the cycling is awesome!
  • sherer
    Sorry it wasn't as good as you hoped. I should have seen your post earlier! Next time, base yourselves a little out of Barcelona but on the train line, 'Rodalies' line is a good one. That way you'll get maximum exposure to traffic free, rolling hills cycling, have no issue with bike storage and only be a half hour max on the train to enjoy your evenings out. Think La Garriga, Granollers etc. I`m an hour by train out of BCN and the cycling is awesome!

Main is was my mate crashing just before we left. I'd def go back though as some of the riding out of the city was good and can see it being a good base.

It's always trial and error with some places