What are these hubs? They aren't what I was told they were

mattyfatty1
mattyfatty1 Posts: 14
edited May 2014 in Workshop
So I bought these wheels on Ebay and it said they were 10spd Shimano. But my 10spd Shimano cassette does not fit. I took it to my LBS and they didn't know because they aren't an Easton dealer.

The wheels are Easton EA90 SLX.

Here are pictures of the hub
http://i.imgur.com/CBHZrZF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JAdPdBW.jpg

Comments

• shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    campag?
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Look correct to me.

Might be the raised 10spd only splines though.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/e ... o-review/3
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Doesn't look like either!

0203_shimano_campy_10spd.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mattyfatty1
    nicklouse wrote:
    Look correct to me.

Might be the raised 10spd only splines though.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/e ... o-review/3

Yeah that looks the same. Sorry, I'm a bit of an amateur. Where do I go from here? What cassettes would fit this?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    From Sheldon:

•Dura-Ace 7800 and 7801 10-speed hubs (and Ultegra wheelsets) with the aluminum Freehub body and tall splines only accept Dura-Ace 10-speed cassettes.

Therefore you need a Dura-Ace 10 speed cassette I think.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mattyfatty1
    Ah, I found it on their FAQ. 'the R4SL red bodies are only compatible with Dura Ace 7800/7900'.
    Excellent.... Wish I'd known that before.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    saving on the bargain wheels blown on expensive cassette!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    t4tomo wrote:
    saving on the bargain wheels blown on expensive cassette!

Ouch!!!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    drlodge wrote:
    From Sheldon:

•Dura-Ace 7800 and 7801 10-speed hubs (and Ultegra wheelsets) with the aluminum Freehub body and tall splines only accept Dura-Ace 10-speed cassettes.

Therefore you need a Dura-Ace 10 speed cassette I think.

Yeah, Sheldon wrote that some time ago, when 10sp was new, and only in DA and newly in Ultegra.
    He has been passed-away for a few years now.

Iif this is a '10sp-only' cassette, you should find that DA, Ultegra or 105 10sp casettes will all fit, as they all have the notches to fit the tall splines.

Tiagra 4600 might well not - I can't remember the notch depth, but it doesn't need the spacer behind it like the other 10sp cassettes do, so it may be too wide

8sp and 9sp Shimano and SRAM 10sp or 9sp or 8sp won't - they all have the shallower notches
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Is it not that you can't fit the cassette because the splines are chewed? Have you tried filing off the bad bits?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Is it not that you can't fit the cassette because the splines are chewed? Have you tried filing off the bad bits?
    What Ugo says, those look knackered and pretty rough to me. If they will clean up with a file or Dremel tool they will work a lot better for installing and removing the cassette. Best of luck with the wheelset.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • Prime586
    Prime586 Posts: 43
    If you can't get your splines back into good enough condition to fit a cassette and you want a replacement 'standard' 8/9/10 speed Shimano/Sram freehub for your wheels, it's Easton part no. 2013515 for the version with steel bearings, or part no. 2021227 for the SL version with ceramic bearings (10g lighter). They come with the 1mm spacer for fitting 10 speed cassettes.
    0508031SR.jpg

If you want to go straight to straight to 11 speed Shimano, you want part number 2038478:
    easton-cassettebody-r4-shimano-11sp-ea90ec90-tt-aero-slx.jpg

They aren't cheap though (about 80 euros, or 80 dollars in the US for the steel bearing versions), and they aren't commonly available in the UK - I think you would have to order from an Easton dealer, which will probably cost a bit more. If you want one, you might be better off buying from Europe or the USA.