My turn for new wheels

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Yeah yet another wheels thread but hey it's my turn now and there are a couple of different ones on there.
I'll be keeping my Fulcrum 5.5s for less inclement weather and trying to keep the new ones for weekends and occasions.
What do you reckon to the below ?

Top budget options :
Reynolds Stratus Pro
FastForward F2A
Fulcrum Racing 1
DT Swiss R21 DiCut
Dura Ace 9000 c24

Sticking to budget options :
DT Swiss R23 Spline
RS81

Lbs is saying go for RS81 or DA 9000 C24 which people pretty much rave about but I want something a bit different.

The R23 and RS81 are pretty much the same price as I'll be using lbs to purchase, the others are obviously more if I decide to go for those but roughly the same price each from my lbs.

And if it matters this is what they'll be going on

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12957275&p=18722777&hilit=swift#p18722777

Many thanks
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I say go handbuilt.

If you insist on a factory option then the Ritchey WCS ZETA II are pretty awesome.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Grill wrote:
    I say go handbuilt.

That
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    RS81's over the DA C24's (i have the latter) as the rims are the same.

Wheelsmith Race24's
    Or some other handbuilt though is a good option.
    Cheers, Stu
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Grill wrote:
    I say go handbuilt.

That

Both of those. I've just had Pacenti SL23 rims on Hope RS Mono hubs and CX rays all round (i know, i know) for only a shade more than those options (just over £600). Could reduce the price by swapping out the tarty spokes.

Tubeless ready makes them even better.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Another vote for hand builts. Decide on the rims you want, get suitable hubs and have someone build them adding the spokes.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Masey1980
    Masey1980 Posts: 27
    djhermer wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    I say go handbuilt.

That

Both of those. I've just had Pacenti SL23 rims on Hope RS Mono hubs and CX rays all round (i know, i know) for only a shade more than those options (just over £600). Could reduce the price by swapping out the tarty spokes.

Tubeless ready makes them even better.

This!

I'm currently like a kid at christmas waiting for my new wheelset. Pacenti SL23 rims, DA 9000 hubs & CX-rays (I also know!). :D
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    And hopefully thats all of the handbuilt crew out of the way !
    Sorry guys I should have said I don't really want handbuilt, I've thought about them but I just don't like the look and that is important to some of us.
    So that said anyone know anything about the above wheels ? Particularly the Reynolds or FastForwards ?

Cheers
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Just built myself some Pacenti Sl23 with CK hubs with CX ray spokes and have to say they are the best wheels I have ridden, not that I have had a lot of experience with high end wheels, much nicer than ksyrium elites I also have some DT Die cut RR21 which are similar to the Elites. Only thing with the Pacenti rims is they are hard to get the tyres on.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    +1 for Hand Built.
    Just had a pair built Pacenti SL23's, WI hubs and cx rays(I also know!!!)
    Absolutely fantastic wheels.
  • djhermer
    Galatzo wrote:
    And hopefully thats all of the handbuilt crew out of the way !
    Sorry guys I should have said I don't really want handbuilt, I've thought about them but I just don't like the look and that is important to some of us.
    So that said anyone know anything about the above wheels ? Particularly the Reynolds or FastForwards ?

Cheers

Nope, we'll keep coming back! I have factory wheels too (ksyrium elites and rs81) so am not against them completely. But the choice you get and the standard of wheel you get from Hand built for the same sort of money is impossible to ignore. As for not liking the look, you can't be serious. Pacenti, archetypes and HED - to name just three out of dozens available - are all stunning.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. Also, it seems the Pacentis are getting a bit common, so don't get those :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    djhermer, I know it sounds strange coming from my mouth, but if the OP doesn't want hand built wheels, so be it, let him "simmer in his own broth" (very Italian expression)... insisting after he clearly made clear is not interested is off topic... move on... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • djhermer
    djhermer, I know it sounds strange coming from my mouth, but if the OP doesn't want hand built wheels, so be it, let him "simmer in his own broth" (very Italian expression)... insisting after he clearly made clear is not interested is off topic... move on... :wink:

I know. I'm sorry. I've learnt from the best. Horse, water etc.

OP - get Mavics.