MTB Maintenance

postie90
postie90 Posts: 53
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, just getting into MTB, bought a giant roam 2, mainly road riding at the minute, with a few canal rides, after each ride just giving the bike a wipe down, on closer inspection the chain and cogs are building up a bit off crud now, could you tell me the best way off clean the chain etc please, not using a pressure washer thou please.... Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is a device sold called a chain cleaner, it does what it says on the tin.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • AlShack
    AlShack Posts: 38
    Once clean & degreased (and dry), if you use Squirt lube (do a search) a quick hosedown after subsequent rides is usually enough to get ride of any muck.
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    +1 on squirt used it for years and chain comes up like new with a quick wipe.

Just buy some muc off water soluble chain cleaner out halfords, rinse off with water then get your chain and gears nice and dry (air compressor is great for this)
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I've found this stuff great for cleaning the whole drivetrain and then a chain cleaner every now and then.

MUCOLUBE392_1_large.jpg

Spray on then then rinse off a couple of minutes later
  • postie90
    +1 on squirt used it for years and chain comes up like new with a quick wipe.

Just buy some muc off water soluble chain cleaner out halfords, rinse off with water then get your chain and gears nice and dry (air compressor is great for this)

I've got me a air compresser which I've been using to blast away the dirt... I was after something to spray the cogs in cogs etc to degrease them, dry it all and then re oil.... That's the way I didn't it years ago....lol. It's been a while.
  • postie90
    Ordered some muc off cleaning products, to hopefully maintain and keep my bike clean to a high standard.... I am right in thinking no pressure washer to clean? Just a bucket and sponge.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes....if you do use a pressure washer it must be kept away from all seals, wheel bearings, BB, headset, fork stanchions and seals at all adjusters, also not ideal to get it down the seat tube.....which doesn't leave many places you can use it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Great for getting clay and actual shite off tyres (watch it doesn't flick in your face though), not a lot else apart from spinning pedals of course.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I use couple of these as a chain cleaner - you can grip two in one hand and run the chain between them, while spraying with some water... then dry with an old cloth (otherwise the chain will start to rust) and put on some new lube.
    Q2150-L.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • postie90
    Can anyone recomend a bike rack fir help with cleaning & maintanance nothing mega expensive just good enough to do the job... Cheers
  • postie90
    I meant a bike stand lol.... Cheers
  • I bought the Park Tools stand from chain reaction. The one with the swivel head. Best buy ever.