Fit Vs Triban

Hebetac
Hebetac Posts: 32
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
After some opinions please.

Have mountain biked all my life, currently have a 14.5kg 160mm travel enduro bike.

I've moved to an area with some lovely cycle paths, and I'm doing about 50-60km a week on the mountain bike with the suspension locked out. On this my average speed is about 25kph, max downhill 45kph. Don't think the big knobbly tyres are helping much!

I have NEVER ridden a road bike, I have NEVER ridden dropped bars.

Not going to through much money at this at first, but I'd like to be able to upgrade parts at a later time. I'd also like to be able to lock the bike up in public, so by spending less cash I wouldn't always be worrying about it getting pinched.

Initially I bee-lined straight for the fit 5, with carbon fork. But it's just too much money to 'dip my toe in' £379.99, unless you think it's really worth the extra? I was thinking...

Fit 3 249.99
vs
Triban 3 (white, non carbon)299.99

The mountain biker in me thinks Fit 3 for the straight bars. However I have a mountain bike already so maybe I should go for the complete change - Triban and drop bars.

I would like to do rides around the 60km mark. I get numb hands on the mountain bike after 40km. Not sure if this is due to road buzz from the tyres or the position.

Lastly, I'm 178cm. I'm thinking 54 frame?

I'm going to buy from Decathlon so if you have other bike suggestions please only suggest Decathlon bikes :D

Comments

• chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    Either or would be fine and as you mention it really depends on what bars you want ……I'd also try a 57 frame as I'm around the same size and the 54 was to small (Triban).
  • Hebetac
    Just been, they have in 57 fit 5 or triban 3.

Fit 5 looks nicer, are they the same frame?
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    Hebetac wrote:
    Just been, they have in 57 fit 5 or triban 3.

Fit 5 looks nicer, are they the same frame?

Not sure, probably something you should have asked when you were there. :wink:
  • Hebetac
    Guess it all boils down to drop bars or flat.

I'm reading + & - on both.

Being as I want to do abit of city riding and touring I'm edging towards the fit 5 flat bar.
  • matt@theforce
    matt@theforce Posts: 647
    Hi,

I tried to reply to your PM but it wouldn't allow me for some reason.

If your unsure after having a test ride I would go for a flat bar, you can always change to drops at a later time if you still want to give them a try.
    Personally I much prefer drops bars to flat bars (especially on a road orientated frame).

Matthew
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    NONONONONONO

Buy the drops and if you really really really can't get on with them then swap to flat bars. This way round the conversion pays for itself whereas the other way round you'll be paying a few hundred quid at least.