Fox DHX rebound

brocky
brocky Posts: 104
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I've had this shock for a while now and one thing really bugging me lately is the fact my rebound adjuster doesnt seem to do anything. It doesn't click it just spins. I'm due to go to Austria for a month starting 4th June and I'm not currently at home, so am stuck with regards to sending it off to tftuned, mojo etc because of turnaround times. Any know if I can just take the adjuster off and clean it without a full strip of the shock?? Any info would be great.
Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can service it yourself, its not difficult.
    Has it lost all rebound damping?
  • brocky
    No its still damping but i want to slow it down maybe 2 clicks, Im getting kicked off lips a bit at the moment
  • rockmonkeysc
    My old DHX 5 had a narrow band in the middle of the knobs range where it actually did something and either side of that it just stayed the same. Does it speed up when you back off the rebound half a turn?
    Are you sure its the shock kicking back? There are a few things that could cause it including fork rebound set too fast.
  • brocky
    Sweet cheers buddy. I will have a play with the fork a bit too then before I start fannying about. The shocks rebound has never really done much and has always just been a smooth action rather than a click. When i say smooth, it feels gritty but in comparison to the adjusters on my forks etc it doesnt seem to engage. Are there any other factors that might have an effect on the bike kicking off a lip? I like to run my suspension firm and have quite a lot of compression on the fork and a fair amount of preload on the rear. Will taking some of this off make any change?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Running the rear too firm will kick the rear up. A softer fork will exaggerate this effect as well.
    How much preload do you have? Too much can cause the spring to become coil bound. The correct weight spring is better.
    Depending on the bike you should have somewhere between 25% - 35% static sag at the back.
    Technique off the jump and the shape of the jump can also cause it to kick back.