Upgrade to full suss choices

Ak47mh
Ak47mh Posts: 26
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I bought a carbon hardtail (Felt Six 2) last October to ride alongside my road bikes over winter which I am more into. Yet I then did Bikepark Wales with some mates on full suspension bikes a few weeks later and had my first introduction to proper trails where they just left me for dead down them. I returned to Bikepark wales a few times after by myself and I have progressively got much quicker and confident on the Blue ones.

Yet I was there last week again and managed to hire a Trek Slash 7 650b full suss and suddenly I was noticeably quicker again not noticing bumps I would see on the hard tail and taking jumps (took in more red trails) I wouldn't before and it was much more fun.

Now the urge to buy a full suss is strong and to sell the hardtail, but it is a mine field choosing which one :? . It will primarily be to do BPW (15 mins away) or Cwmcarn. Yet I would also like to be able to ride along some normal off road bits or Sustrans trails with my 9 year old who I bought a MTB for last year.

So I like the look of this:

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ory_id=178

Yet I also like the look of this:

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ory_id=148

I can guess the Kona would be better at BPW doing red trails and progressing to Black when the skill levels allows. Yet will it be a pig to ride the rest of the time being heavier? I had the uplift last week, yet even though I don't mind cycling uphill from the road bike, would it just be awful?!

Or is there any other bikes I should consider no more expensive than the above? I would like something to last me as my skill level improves and probably way over thinking it.

Cheers,
Ant

Comments

• JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    The Operator is way too much bike for BPW, assuming you want to ride up hills as well as down at least.

The Zesty is a great bike, ridden one several times and it is good fun and pretty light with good spec.

There is an awful lot of detail you can go into on full sus, but as many have said before, if you can have 1 mountain bike, have an enduro bike (e.g. something with about 140-160mm travel front and back, reasonable lights and climbable also)
    The Zesty falls into this category, but so do many many others :P
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Two very different bikes.

1 is a 150/140mm trail machine the other a full DH bike. BPW only has a couple of trails that would benefit from a DH bike and they definately are not for heavy duty pedaling.

I would say a decent trail AM bike would suit well, I'm a fan of Mondrakers myself and love the FWD geometry and all, but the only answer is get to some test days and try a few, this way you will get an idea of what works for you! There are very few bad bikes at this price range but they are all different and you will have no idea what works for you personally till you get out there and try a few!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    but the only answer is get to some test days and try a few, this way you will get an idea of what works for you! There are very few bad bikes at this price range but they are all different and you will have no idea what works for you personally till you get out there and try a few!

That. You'll be amazed at the differences and what suits, regardless of what people say.

Then buy a Transition Bandit :);)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Ak47mh
    Thanks fellas for your advice, the downhill bike is definitely out after confirming what I thought.

I do really like the zesty, but will checkout the Mondraker and think I have more of an idea what to look for now. Will see if there are any test days near me which is a great idea.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Operator is great if you only ride the black trails, even on the reds a downhill bike is hard work.
    I wouldn't buy a Lappierre because of their reputation for fragile frames.
    I have ridden all the trails at Bike Park Wales on my Nukeproof Mega TR and found it ideal for it and lots of fun. There's some great deals on them in some sizes but even at full price they are great value.
    Take a look at the Transition Bandit, Trek Remedy, Kona Process 134 and Specialized Stumpjumper Evo.
    I wouldn't go for too much suspension, the trails are pretty smooth (apart from braking bumps on the blacks) and generally less suspension is less weight and better for peddling.
  • Ak47mh
    Thanks Rockmonkeysc, think I noticed the nukeproof brand more than any other bike there which has to say something.

Just saw this which looks to fit the bill and is much cheaper than the Zesty I was looking at in my already jackanory budget:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuke ... prod107266

Or this which has good reviews, yet not sure on the looks, although am sure I won't care when it is covered in mud and bombing it down the trails having fun:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mon ... e-ec061712
  • rockmonkeysc
    I would go for the Mega AM out of those two. Much better for the money.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    If I were you my head would be saying NP Mega all day long but my heart would be saying YT Capra
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    YT are ok if you don't mind a very long wait for your bike. Two to three months wait seems fairly normal for them.
    I met one person with a YT Tues Ltd, ordered in November and recieved it in May!