TYRES

2»

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Joking aside, the GP4000s do suffer from relatively weak sidewalls, which isn't the case with the 4 Seasons. The GP4000s are lighter and grippier though.

Not always lighter and certainly not much lighter in 23 and 25mm, which makes you realise what an achievement the 4 Season is in having such a robust tyre that really doesn't weigh much more than a 4000S 'race' tyre:

23mm - 4000Sii 205g - GP4S 220g
    25mm - 4000Sii 225g - GP4S 230g
    28mm - 4000Sii 260g - GP4S 250g
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Am in the market for 1 or 2 fast'ish commuter-type tyres (28mms for me) as I've just fitted the last tyre of that size I had lying around.
    My GP 4 Seasons lasted approx 12 months commuting, 100 miles/week before riding home earlier this week I could alarmingly see the canvas in the centre of the tread - rubber cracking fairly badly.
    Replaced with Rubino Pro tyre which I had a matching one fitted to the rear a few weeks back.

Anyone doing any bargain deals for this type of tyre - I like to have a spare or 2 so that I don't end up being forced to just buy whatever is available at the time when I do come to need replacements ?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    andyrr wrote:
    ....Anyone doing any bargain deals for this type of tyre - I like to have a spare or 2 so that I don't end up being forced to just buy whatever is available at the time when I do come to need replacements ?
    As discussed earlier in the thread the Michelin Pro4 25c are more like 28mm in reality (All reported measurements I've seen have been from just under 27mm up to just under 28mm). So they might work for you. They were going relatively cheap a week ago from several sources including Chainreactions and Wiggle. Don't know if they still are.
  • marcusjb wrote:
    Joking aside, the GP4000s do suffer from relatively weak sidewalls, which isn't the case with the 4 Seasons. The GP4000s are lighter and grippier though.

Not always lighter and certainly not much lighter in 23 and 25mm, which makes you realise what an achievement the 4 Season is in having such a robust tyre that really doesn't weigh much more than a 4000S 'race' tyre:

23mm - 4000Sii 205g - GP4S 220g
    25mm - 4000Sii 225g - GP4S 230g
    28mm - 4000Sii 260g - GP4S 250g

Thanks. Should have added that I was talking about the 23mm variants.
  • amycollins
    amycollins Posts: 68
    Youll be happy to know i went with the Conti GP4000S!!

Absolutely love them, no issues so far.
    It never gets easier, You just go faster!
  • funomoly
    funomoly Posts: 2
    I ride Maxxis ReFuse :) an excellent foldable tire plus its puncture resist properties are the best i have come across
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Sorry but I really cannot agree that the GP 4 seasons is a decent tire, maybe I was unlucky but mine wore square really quickly, expensive and poor wet grip but whatever you choose, just avoid anything from Italy!!!
    My choice is the gp4000s or the best clincher I ve ever ridden the pro4 sc in a 23 (the comp is even better but not for general riding), maybe not for durability but they are soooo cheap and for me and the guy who recommended them to me, bomb proof.
  • I used to use schwalbe ultremo ZX but switched to GP4000S about a year ago. Much prefer the GP4000S. I have to do some pretty crazy descents in Thailand and they hold the road really well. Only had one puncture in the last 5000 kms and that was from a big wood staple.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    The absolutely best all rounder I’ve used is the GP 4 seasons, but the best for speed if you were racing are either vittoria SC evo or specialized s works turbo 24mm. the Sworks are very very fast, but wear fairly quickly. They are also not cheap. The vittorias are probably weaker in terms of sidegrip but are very quick in a straight line.

If you were on a budget look at gp4000s 1st generation, a few of the vendors are punting them out reasonably cheaply.

I wouldn’t touch gatorskins as they have very little mechanical grip (though they are pretty resilient) and once they have a few cuts are useless.
  • oola
    oola Posts: 77
    I was about to give up on Conti GP4000s before I went up to 25mm and dropped the pressures. I'd had numerous punctures (lots of flint on the roads locally) which were bugging the hell out of me and now I can't see me riding anything else as far as clinchers go from now on. Better the devil you know!

I do have Gatorskins on my winter bike and have had a couple of punctures which have torn the tyre (23mm & 25mm) ... the rubber seems to be far less flexible than GP4000s.
  • GP4seasons puncture protection is ace but grip is a bit lacking in the corners.

GP 4000s in 25mm is the best to go for.

Puncture protection is almost as good at the 4seasons. Grip like a vice and very little rolling resistance.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Pro4 SC

I like Michelins!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • maltloaf_df
    maltloaf_df Posts: 118
    How come no one's mentioned Schwalbe Ultremo ?

I got some for £22 each and I'm loving them. Very fast tyres.

As for Gatorskins, I will never use them again. They were like riding on ball bearings as soon as the weather got significantly colder last year and I fell of twice. They squared off really badly too. Schwalbe Durano got me through the rest of the winter unscathed.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    GP4000's have been the best I have used. Comfy, quick, light, last a reasonable time, excellent puncture protection, grippy in the wet, grippy in the dry, confident feel all the time.... list goes on.

Worst tyres were Vitoria. Crap grip and hard.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    I had the old open pave tyre with the stripe down the middle and now got the new cg iii type, love them. For me they've lasted ages and no you know what's.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    gaddster wrote:
    I had the old open pave tyre with the stripe down the middle and now got the new cg iii type, love them. For me they've lasted ages and no you know what's.

I have the old Open Paves (24c) on my Rourke currently, they're great tyres but do cut up quite easily so just use them in the summer months. Come Autumn I'll be puttng the Pro4 SC back on.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I ordered some 25c Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres and Michelin A2 tubes to replace the Continental Gator Hardshell tyres that currently adorn my Kinesis. Ever since coming off I have had no confidence in the Continentals and I'm hoping the Michelins are grippier and offer more comfort.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    I'd vote for the Krylions but of course they don't make them any more so the Michelin Pro4Grip would be the choice.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • lxtwin
    lxtwin Posts: 12
    I use Continental GP 4Season 28 on my CX summer wheels; they seem fine for my use.