pre-Strava

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

Does anyone know of any websites where I can plot rides in advance of riding them to check out lengths and gradients of climbs along the route? I can use Strava for climbs on routes I've already cycled, and if a 'segment' already exists for the climb I can use that (but they don't always start and end where I want them to and sometimes don't exist at all for the climbs in question). I have looked at using 'MapMyRide' which does do this, but I question its accuracy as the first local climb I looked at it says the first 150m of the climb is actually about 4% downhill - which is very very wrong!! Cheers
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
  • Schoie81
    ha ha!! Thanks - didn't know you could do that!! Perfick!
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I mainly use the first in the list below, I used to use the second and see no need for the other two but I listed them in case you don't like the first.

ridewithgps
    bikeroutetoaster
    gpsies
    connect.garmin

Don't know what device you use but I upload from the first two to Garmin Edge 800 without issue.
  • Schoie81
    BrandonA wrote:
    I mainly use the first in the list below, I used to use the second and see no need for the other two but I listed them in case you don't like the first.

ridewithgps
    bikeroutetoaster
    gpsies
    connect.garmin

Don't know what device you use but I upload from the first two to Garmin Edge 800 without issue.

bikeroutetoaster - was the one I was trying to think of as I remember someone on here mentioning that before - I kept thinking 'bread' though.... should have been 'toast'!!! Will have a look at them but strava seems to be able to do the trick. Only use my phone for tracking, no dedicated GPS device and I'm not bothered about uploading the routes - I rarely get places I don't know at the moment and if I do, and I get lost - it just adds to the ride!! :lol: Thank you!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Hush your mouth, you will get into a lot of trouble making remarks like that... Don't mind getting lost indeed! Everyone has to have an expensive navigation device strapped to their bike so they can switch their brain off...
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Also try out Veloviewer. It integrates with your Strava account for more detailed feedback.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    The Strava one is great. Exports ready for my 500. It uses your 4-weekly average speed to give you an estimated time which is also a neat touch.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    iPete wrote:

Having a senior moment here - looks interesting but can't actually get to the planner - what do I do to move from the front page? I can't find any links to click through. Is it premium only?

Edit - so google is my friend - neededhttp://www.strava.com/routes/new but couldn't spot the link on the first page.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Having a senior moment here - looks interesting but can't actually get to the planner - what do I do to move from the front page? I can't find any links to click through. Is it premium only?

Edit - so google is my friend - neededhttp://www.strava.com/routes/new but couldn't spot the link on the first page.

If it makes you feel better I've repeatedly done the same! :oops:

I find going to the Dashboard and looking for the My Routes tab is the best way in...
  • Schoie81
    iPete wrote:
    If it makes you feel better I've repeatedly done the same! :oops:

I find going to the Dashboard and looking for the My Routes tab is the best way in...

That's how I found it!! :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bikehike is very good
  • i use map my run just for seeing how long routes are, and its free to use,
  • rch30
    rch30 Posts: 20
    I prefer Bikehike - http://bikehike.co.uk - this has an OS window which enables you see how close together are the contour lines. You can also toggle between the OS map and an elevation display. Dowload files in varied formats as well.