Strange rear wheel noise

downhill paul
downhill paul Posts: 236
edited May 2014 in Workshop
For a while I have noticed a strange noise coming from my rear wheel.
it sounds like the wheel is hitting the brake pads. the wheel is perfectly true and there is an even distance between both brake pads and the rim. I have no idea what could be causing the noise.
any ideas?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    The hub.
  • downhill paul
    I have just found a small cut in my rear tyre, could that be it?
    I can only hear the noise, which sounds like the rim hitting the brake pad every now and then.
  • downhill paul
    If it makes any difference, the wheel is a mavic aksium race wheel.
    I had to take it to my LBS recently after hitting a pothole which punctured my rear tyre, I think the guy in the shop described it as a snake bite. I had the wheel re trued, even though there are a few loose spokes on the rear wheel, and now I have this grinding noise. like I said it sounds like a brake pad is rubbing, but they aren't. also I can only hear it when free wheeling at slow speed, the noise seems to go away when pedaling.
    do I need to replace the wheel, just the free wheel, or will simply taking it apart, cleaning and re lubing it help?
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    With the rear wheel off the ground, try 'shaking' the rim left & right during a full rotation.
    At most there should be only a tiny amount of movement that can be felt, but hard to see.
    If there is a lot of side-to-side shake take it to LBS.

Also with rear wheel off ground, spin the wheel and see if the noise appears.
    Also watch the tire as is goes around to see if there is any wobble or up/down movement.

With rear wheel off ground, rotate the cranks to see if noise appears.

If the noise is actually more of a 'pinging' than 'grinding'.then it might be the loose spokes rubbing against other spokes. A true 'grinding' noise would be from the wheel bearings, or from the freehub bearings.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • downhill paul
    With the rear wheel off the ground, the rim does move from side to side, I can hear a grinding noise, but the noise goes away when turning the cranks. there is also no wobble or movement in the tyre.
    based on what you have said, I think the grinding noise must be coming from the wheel or free hub bearings.
    thanks for your help :-)
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Your freehub probably needs a service. Google mavic freehub service and you should get loads of info on how to do it.
  • downhill paul
    Thanks for the help :-)
  • downhill paul
    The only problem I have now is where do I take the wheel to have the free hub serviced?
    I bought them from a website called Acycles which is based in France. does this mean that a UK dealer wouldn't be able to service them for me? I have been told to look for a serial number on the hub to see if they are UK or gray market, what does that even mean?
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    Any local LBS, if they're in any way half decent, will be able to service the hub.