The Lake District (Ullswater and Helvellyn)

Lowride
Lowride Posts: 214
edited May 2014 in Routes
Me and a friend are going to ride Ullswater on friday then Helvellyn and Sticks Pass on saturday. We've not done either before, we'll both be on 150mm travel full susp bikes. Can anybody offer any tips, bits to look out for etc?

I have a review that MBR did on Ullswater a couple of months ago and they say to ride it in a certain direction, will check which. We did Borrowdale Bash this time last year and it was brilliant. I wanted to do Naan Bield this wkend but it's not that close to Ullswater and we want to ride to where we're riding from the campsite. Next time!

Comments

• Get over to Pooley Bridge and "the cockpit" stone circle to Howtown descent, it's a cracker.

I rode the Ullswater singletrack last year mid-week, but it was still really busy with walkers and was a pain in the arse. Still a good day out because of the surroundings.

Did Nsn Bield a couple of weeks ago, really enjoyed it.

I'm going to Hellvelyn in a few weeks so post back how you get on!
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    I think you replied to my post last year mate and suggested Borrowdale, thanks because it was brilliant.

We did Ullswater on friday afternoon, we only saw two people as it was late afternoon. Not sure which route you took but about three miles in we did a Black graded climb, not fun. Walking up it was hard enough with heavy F/S bikes. I enjoyed the technical sections along the lake's edge.

Helvellyn was hardcore. We hike-a-biked for a long way up to the ridge of the mountain having passed the youth hostel earlier on. The trail is rideable early on but it eventually gets very steep and rocky. I think we only met one group of walkers on the climb up.
    We went to the very top of Helvellyn, can't say it was enjoyable. The mist came in and we could only see maybe 50ft, the wind was stupidly strong. Not a place for the faint hearted or a MTB'er on their own (of which we did see!) The mist was very disorientating, you've got to be careful up there and I suggest wearing body armour as it's very unforgiving and a long way from a hospital up there.

Stick's Pass was really good and easily the highlight of our two days, the DH was probably 15 mins long. My mate got a puncture which was a shame as it stopped the flow. Most of it is rideable, look out for the boulder field near the end as some of that is a bit wild. Quite a few good videos on YouTube
  • I'm booked in that YHA with a couple of mates. They're walkers, but hopefully another lad will meet us there and we'll tackle the ride up! Aiming to find the most sensible ride up and then take Sticks Pass. Not sure about day 2 yet, but I'm sure we'll find something.

I can recommend Nan bield for your next trip, a decent day out with Gatescarth Pass and/or Garburn if you've got the legs. Plus you've got the brewery in Staveley for post ride boozing.

Did a great route round Coniston recently too.