Can you get hubs that work with Shimano and Campag?

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I need to get a set of wheels built and plan to initially use them on my current bike which runs 105 so the hubs need to work with Shimano and I was thinking DA hubs. Trouble is the wheelset will be my best wheels and I would like to use them on a nice steel frame build I am planning but will want Campag on the steel bike hence this rules out the DA option. So the question is which hubs work with both groupsets? I know mavic have an interchangeable free hub so is the same true for hope hubs for example?

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Yes, Hope have interchangable hubs, as do Fulcrum and Campagnolo for some. They may not be that straightforward to change though.

Generally, for those that can be changed, the majority will Shimano 10 speed / Campagnolo 11 speed. Though there are a lot more that can do Shimano 11.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Shimano 11 speed cassettes & hubs work with otherwise Campy 11 setups (11 speed chains, dérailleurs and shifters) and vice versa.

So... just buy shimano hubs which are 11 speed compatible. Then when you get Campy, get an 11 speed groupset, and just use a shimano cassette.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Miche hubs require no redishing when switching between freehub bodies and it is the easiest hub to change freehubs on by far. Novatec hubs do require redishing when switching between freehubs and the same goes for Ambrosio hubs (same shell and freehub body you see). Campagnolo record hubs have shimano and Campagnolo freehubs. Most major hubs brands offer both type of freehubs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Swiss firm Edco have hubs compatible with both - but not cheap.

http://edco.ch/products/accessoires/body.html

You buy the hub and the multi-sys body and they'll do the wheel as well or just the hub. No uk distributor as I'm aware.
    M.Rushton
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Miche hubs require no redishing when switching between freehub bodies and it is the easiest hub to change freehubs on by far. Novatec hubs do require redishing when switching between freehubs and the same goes for Ambrosio hubs (same shell and freehub body you see). Campagnolo record hubs have shimano and Campagnolo freehubs. Most major hubs brands offer both type of freehubs.

if I go record will this work with my 10 speed 105 set up for now?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    I may have missed something but I think the above posts have been unclear. Those that are "interchangeable" still need the free hub swapping with one to suit the other gear manufacturer. It is not just pulling the cassette off as far as I am aware. Does the OP understand this?
    Far less hassle to look around for a used rear wheel to suit the Campag bike, no cassette swapping. No freehub swapping. 30 seconds not 30 minute.
    Apologies if one of the hubs suggests has splines that take both and I am unaware.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    This will all be so much simpler when everything is 11 speed since the sprocket spacing's the same. So you can drop a shimano wheel / cassette into a bike running an otherwise Campag equipped drivetrain and vice versa. Simples as the meerkats would have it.