Facing a PostMount carbon frame

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
I am having trouble with rapid pad wear and squealing from my back brake. The rear brake PM mounts on my Vitus Carbon Fibre frame are slightly out of line and need facing. I googled the tool and nearly fainted at the price does anyone know of a bike shop in the Merseyside/West Lancs/Greater Manchester area that has the tool.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Would you not be better placed talking to CRC as a warranty issue?

You could use an competent engineering shop, otherwise phone around, it's such a rare job I doubt anyone else on here has had it done, let alone in your area!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Other than it being carbon fibre I would have thought this is a common bike shop job upon assembling new bikes? No
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Er no. Bikes come to shops screwed together. It's a factory thing. Personally think it can't be as bad as described.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Er no. Bikes come to shops screwed together. It's a factory thing. Personally think it can't be as bad as described.
    Both bike shops I've approached about facing have had the tools, quite often frames don't come properly faced from the factory, or even at all. Just talk to your LBS. If they can't do it, they'll probably know someone who can.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Chunkers1980
    I didn't say shops don't have them.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    That was the point of the thread, in which case your comment was totally pointless :?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Chunkers1980
    No, the point of the thread was where can it be done up north west.

A thread is a thread as in different questions are posed during it, like abarth's.

You appear not to have followed the thread or read the op
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Try somewhere like NWMTB?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've never seen a carbon frame that wasn't faced, I also wouldn't face a carbon frame.

That said I mainly build SC and yeti carbon.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Surely if it's a facing issue it would be a bad mould? I don't think the PM facing will likely be the issue :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Its not so much the carbon as the aluminium thread insert thats causing the problem. Both of them are slightly proud of the carbon and no matter how carefully I line everything up as I torque it the caliper starts to tilt slightly inboard. When the pads have worn to fit the disc everything is fine but till it wears in there is too much lever travel and squealing/vibration because the pads arent hitting the disc flush.

I have thought of trying to countersink the insert a fraction but if I get it wrong I could be up shit creak without a carbon paddle.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I mean you could do it if it is just the aluminium insert, however I'd be tempted to warranty the frame, or fit some avid cps washers...
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    i'd go for warranty if its the alu insert. Yes it means you'll be without your bike for a bit, but any issues left if it doesn't work you'll wish you did.
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    I'm sure you could just find a bike shop with the facing tools and get them to square it up, or take a hand file and level it off yourself, I've just done this and it fixed the same issue you are having.