Foot pain

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
I am not new to cycling but have not been off my bike for around 20 months due to a back injury... Did a 15 mile gentle ride at the weekend (amazing how un-cycle-fit you get... 100 mile rides down to 15 and knackered) and the outsides of my feet hurt...

I did around 3 miles tonight and the right outside of my foot was killing me... ????

When I was riding regularly I didn't really experienced this, when I did I loosened off my cleat... Fixed... now, my cleat is practically slipping off at the moment and still a lot of pain... I ride with a 3mm leg length correction plate on my right foot (but did before as well)...

Does anyone else experience this...? Is it just cos my body is not used to the demands of cycling after so long off?

Any ideas folks... Thx

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Both feet or just one? Is it the outside of the foot or the bottom (as in under the 5th metatarsal)?

You should never correct leg length discrepancy without first stabilising the foot (footbeds).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • alpineaddict
    Hi mate...

I should have said, I wear orthotics, and have done for around 15 years now, however not in my cycle shoes as they don't fit, hence the correction plate...

The pain is on the probably two-thirds down the 5th metatarsal... Kind of wraps around form the base to the outside... and is mainly on the right foot, which is the side of my 7mm leg length discrepancy... However I have experienced it before in both, which lead me to believe it was the shoes too tight...

Any thoughts ???
  • Grill
    Shoes could certainly be too tight (I ride with the bottom two straps of my right shoe pretty much open). Footbeds will help in a couple ways. First the added support under the arch will allow pressure to be more evenly distributed under the foot and second your forefoot will expand less under load. I don't recommend using your current orthotics as range of motion and stress is very different whilst cycling. As long as you don't have excess pain under the foot (more specifically the arch, ball, metatarsal head and/or 2nd/3rd metatarsal) then a pair of cheap drop-ins (like Spec footbeds) should o the job.
  • alpineaddict
    Awesome... Thx for the advice... Would I be able to go to my local to get these... Primera Sports in Bournemouth, or are they things I would need to go to a special place for???

Will def look into these, as I was thinking I might need to get anew pair of Orthotics for the cycle shoes...
  • Grill
    They offer the Fi'zi:k 3D Flex Insoles, but you probably won't need those. They do stock the Specialized insoles as well which are very good for the price. If they make you stand on the pressure pad make sure to keep your toes lifted (for the Windlass Effect) as they tend to suggest insoles lacking in support. The other option would be Superfeet footbeds which you can get at many ski/snowboard shops (their cycling specific products don't offer any advantage over their winter sports offerings).
  • alpineaddict
    Cheers dude... Popping down there tomorrow to have a chat and hopefully get this pain 'gone'...

Thx for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on :-)
  • alpineaddict
    OK, so update... Bought some blue Specialized footbeds... First ride out in them and pain after 4 miles... :( back to square 1...

I am wondering about my shoes being the correct size but then think to the hundreds of miles I have ridden in them with minimal or no pain previously...?????
  • Grill
    Are you using varus wedges and are you certain that the Blues have enough support?
  • alpineaddict
    Hey bud... No wedges yet and the blues seemed to be the correct ones according to the pressure pad... They guy in Primera was really good and knew his stuff... Gonna head back this week and talk to the guy... He did mention about bringing my bike in to ensure it is set up correct... But as I said before, it has always been the same and and I can't believe my body has changed that much, if at all, in 18 months...

I am going to try and widen my stance on the pedals a bit, as I do find myself pushing outwards, onto the sides of my feet, when giving it some, and standing up...
  • Grill
    Try an orange wedge in your right shoe. It's unlikely that the issue is related to your q-factor.Also, can you feel the support of the footbed under your arch?
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    As Grill said, sounds like you could have varus feet. I used to get pain on the outside of my feet until I was fitted with some wedges. Now I've got no problem at all.
  • alpineaddict
    Grill... I can feel the support yes... To be fair I think that the supports are fine as I don't have high arches... In fact it is the opposite... I am more flat footed.. Will get back to the shop and ask about Varus wedge... Thx again both...
  • Grill
    The wedges come with the BG footbeds. Did they not give them to you?
  • alpineaddict
    Hey bud...

After a quick bit of research, I can see that there appear to be 2 kinds of 'blue' specialized footbeds... BG and BG SL... The wedges come with the BG footbeds, and I was given the BG SL footbeds...

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specia ... KA?wmp=874
  • Grill
    That's messed up considering they have them for the same price.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    I tried a lot of different things, moving cleats, new pedals (spd-sl to speedplay), arch support, wider shoes etc.

After more internet scouring about foot pain I tried this, Frankensolution.

jZXYgIx.png

And it worked, thus deducing that my left foot leans out to the left (Varus I think they call it) so more pressure goes to the outside of the foot, therefore you need to put additional support under the right part of the foot (seems counter intuitive but makes sense).

A few rides later and the cardboard is still working so I ordered some proper wedges from http://bikefit.com/c-2-in-the-shoe.aspx

Not saying it's your answer but worked for me and only cost a bit of cardboard box to try ;)
  • alpineaddict
    eddiefiola... loving the cardboard... :D

I think my local store only stock these blue footbeds but yeah I agree in that I don't get why 2 sets of footbeds are the same price and one comes with wedges and the other not... :roll:

Here's hoping the wedges help as my feet still hurt now from riding on Friday :( So I am assuming the idea of these wedges is to force the foot to apply pressure more evenly... Across to the inside instead of everything on the outside...

Thx again folks...
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Grill wrote:
    I believe they come with the old BG insoles. Spesh are replacing these with the newer BG SL insoles. Those don't come with them.

I had to buy a pack of 8 (more than I need!) for £22!!
  • Grill
    patrickf wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    I believe they come with the old BG insoles. Spesh are replacing these with the newer BG SL insoles. Those don't come with them.

I had to buy a pack of 8 (more than I need!) for £22!!

Don't get me started on Specialized's pricing policies. They raised the price of my saddle by 50% last year even though they're identical. :evil:
  • alpineaddict
    Hi guys

Just a quick update on the foot thing... Have been to the local (Primera, Bournemouth) several times now and had a couple of cleat adjustments to a) widen my stance as much as possible, and b) alter the angle of my cleats to point slightly inwards... Both have worked somewhat but have not got rid of the pain completely... I think I am down now about 60% of the outside foot pain...

I have had an assessment on the bike and had my saddle and bars slightly moved again, and I am awaiting an order of some Valgus wedges and extra long bolts (needed as I am now adding a second 3mm shim to my right foot)...

Good process of elimination and can't speak highly enough of jack down at Primera (and all the staff tbh)... I know I have not settled up for the bike assessment yet (poss around £30), but all of this time spent with me (on several visits) has so far cost me nothing... except a repeated "thank you"...

Hoping the wedges and shim get me that extra 40% and kill the pain off completely... Thx again so far for the comments and I'll let you know once I have everything else in place...