Frame snapped.

napoleond
napoleond Posts: 5,992
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi my frame (ribble audax/winter) snapped earlier today. I was just riding along and went past a refrigerated delivery wagon that had the doors open. I got a really cold blast of air as I got near it and then the frame just cracked. In fact it pretty much shattered :(

I've no idea what caused it but wondering if it was the cold air?

Anyhoo, as a result I'm wondering if I can claim from the abattoir that owned the van and use that to get a new frame.
Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
ABCC Cycling Coach

Comments

• charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    My family own abattoirs and this is a well known issue.
    We usually settle out of court.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Worth a try but I thought this only happened with carbon frames so your claim may be futile?!
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I think your issue is we are in the Vernal Equinox (Spring) so under the Sales of Goods Act you are outside of the Winter parameters for your bike. I would suggest blaming Ribble and demanding they make bikes that are compliant with All Seasons.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I thought it had to be wet AND cold for that to happen?
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Was you wearing Rapha at the time? I think this is a prerequisite for frames to snap in the cold, so that would be ribble, Rapha and wiggle to blame.
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    As you have failed to post pictures on t'internet of either the bike or the truck, nobody will take any subsequent claim seriously.

Did you phone up for a 'crime number'...? That's important too.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Along similar lines, I've found that as I ride my bike more, the rubber on my tyres is starting to wear. I bought them from Ribble last month.

Has anybody else had the same problems with tyres supplied from Ribble?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited May 2014
    EDIT: Removed in the interest of a good thread
  • napoleond
    Joeblack wrote:
    Was you wearing Rapha at the time? I think this is a prerequisite for frames to snap in the cold, so that would be ribble, Rapha and wiggle to blame.

I was actually wearing Rapha today.

I've no beef with the abattoir owners.

I just wish I'd known about this brittle aluminium business.

I don't have any pics as I only have a Nokia 3210, but if you imagine the scene from terminator 2 where the T1000 gets covered in liquid nitrogen, just imagine that but with a blue bike instead of a scary time travelling, morphing assassin who's brother was in Nine Inch Nails.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I don't have any pics as I only have a Nokia 3210, but if you imagine the scene from terminator 2 where the T1000 gets covered in liquid nitrogen, just imagine that but with a blue bike instead of a scary time travelling, morphing assassin who's brother was in Nine Inch Nails.

I tried to imagine it, but all I can focus on is that Russian lesbian band TaTu who are singing in the background naked....

Sorry, but that happens quite a lot in my imagination. :oops:
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Did you get frost bite on your dick as well? If not you havent got a leg to stand on regarding Ribble.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • napoleond
    Did you get frost bite on your dick as well? If not you havent got a leg to stand on regarding Ribble.

:shock:
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mfin
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Joeblack wrote:

I was actually wearing Rapha today.

I've no beef with the abattoir owners.

I just wish I'd known about this brittle aluminium business.

The detail here is incredible, I didn't know the T1000's brother was in Nine Inch Nails, interesting fact that. Another bit of related trivia is that Dr Dre assisted a little with the recording of The Fragile.
  • napoleond
    Did you know that Eminem and Hittman's favourite singer is Aussie 6 pack 'I just love the kids man' Jungle Casanova Peter An.

They keep calling him that as they forgot about Dre.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mfin
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Did you know that Eminem and Hittman's favourite singer is Aussie 6 pack 'I just love the kids man' Jungle Casanova Peter An.

They keep calling him that as they forgot about Dre.

No, I did not know that. :)

So, are you hoping the frame slowly re-forms itself à la T1000 or is that a property no-one really witnesses in a aluminium bike frame in the real world?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    My family own abattoirs and this is a well known issue.
    We usually settle out of court.

One cow or six sheep?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ribble tried the T1000 technology but it did not work to well the bikes often reformed into teapots and other aluminium camping equipment. At least the stranded rider could make a cup of tea that's something at least.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I blame Wiggle.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”