North Wales help!

donncha
donncha Posts: 31
edited June 2014 in Holidays
My fantastic girlfriend has booked us a long weekend in Llanberis for my birthday (30th of May to the 2nd June). We will be getting the ferry over and have never been in this part of the world. I would really appreciated it if anyone could recommend a few red-level trails for me to do and a few blue or short red-level routes that we could do together.
We will be driving so happy to travel. What routes on Coed y Brenin or Betws-Y- Coed would people recommend?
Any other advice of what do, see or eat would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Comments

• No need to go any further than Llanberis! Day 1: up and down Snowdon (before 10 or after 1700); Day 2: Moel Y Ci and Dinorwic Quarry http://northwalesmtb.proboards.com/thread/4766; Day 3: oh alright, nip over to Penmachno and support their trail and village boozer ;-). Oh, and maybe the last 300 yards of Marin Trail. Nosh? Pete's Eats Llanberis, Caban at Brynrefail http://www.caban-cyf.org/, Alpine Cafe at Betws-Y-Coed. Sorted! (& funnily enough exactly what I'll be doing 2 weeks later, but by train from London to Bangor, far faster, cheaper and relaxinger than a motor ;-)).
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,147
    The llanberis path up Snowdon is not that technical just a long slog/push up to the top. I'd suggest walking up about 4pm and coming down about 7 pm when most of the militant walkers will have driven back home.
    The telegraph valley path would be a good 'blue' route however it's another there and back route unless you make it into a long loop (the welsh highland railway carry bikes though).

There used to be some trails in Beddgelert Forest, blue graded I think. I tried to find the start once but didn't succeed.

There's some good routes around betws y coed which are long but not particularly technical. Over to dolwyddelan for lunch and back is a nice loop, especially on a good day.

+1 for penmachno. You'll usually get wet at some point on the trail.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    +2 penmachno. The Rangers trail is tougher than Llanberis coming down Snowdon, but I haven't done Rangers, so couldn't say whether it's red or black.