New tyres

rokt
rokt Posts: 493
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I know this question gets asked a lot but what is the current thinking on new tyres ?

I have Mavic Yksion Pro Griplink on at the moment but they are about due for replacing and
I don't know what to get. I don't have much experience with tyres, I'm looking for a good all
round every day tyre. Any and all advice will be greatly received. Thanks.

Comments

• plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Predictable answer, Conti GP4000s.
  • I've used Michelin Pro Race, Mavic Yksion Pro, Vittoria open pave. I have Continental GP4000s at the moment, very good all round but maybe slightly higher rolling resistance than the Michelins.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    if you go for the Contis, prepare for a noticeably more uncomfortable ride. Apart from that, the Contis are fine.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I know a few people now who have had low mileage gp4000s tyres fail on the sidewall recently. Maybe look at the new version? I like spesh tyres, currently got a set of turbo pros. Light, fast rolling, strong against flats.
  • In last few years used Michelin Pro Race 3. Changed to Schwalbe Ultremos as they looked good (sad I know). They performed well, but got tired of them fraying. Tried the Planet X Rage K's and they all developed eggs very quickly (you get what you pay for!). Then switched back to Michelin but got the plain/all black Pro Race 4's. Can't fault these. Been perfect so far and done a fair few miles. :D
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    robbo2011 wrote:
    if you go for the Contis, prepare for a noticeably more uncomfortable ride. Apart from that, the Contis are fine.

:? ?

The GP4000's have a real comfy ride.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Not compared to the Yksions they don't. I take it you have made the comparison?
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Rokt wrote:
    I know this question gets asked a lot but what is the current thinking on new tyres ?

I have Mavic Yksion Pro Griplink on at the moment but they are about due for replacing and
    I don't know what to get. I don't have much experience with tyres, I'm looking for a good all

Why not get a new pair of Mavic Yksion Pro's?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Rokt wrote:

Why not get a new pair of Mavic Yksion Pro's?

Because variety's the spice of life, that gives it all its flavour.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    How did you find the Yksions in the wet? Would you agree with the general consensus that they're comfy, fast a little puncture prone, grippy in the dry but poor in the wet?
    I got a pair with wheels recently but haven't thrown them around much in the wet yet.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I've just ordered a pair of Schwalbe One clinchers to try out, 62euro's + P&P from Bike24 for the 2 tyres.
    Hoping they get here before the weekend so that I can try them out on the 1066 Cyclosportive.