trueing wheels

koontz
koontz Posts: 119
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I took 2 wheels to evans for truing, and picked them up today, I can do most things but don't have a jig and they are disc wheels. Anyway cost me £28.00, £14.00 per wheel seemed steep but thought what the hell they'll do a good job, They are definitely truer but far from perfect they are true in the side to side rotation but slightly out on the roundness of the wheel, I can tell when the wheel is in the frame the disc moves forward slightly not completely round like it should. Am I expecting to much?, like I said they haven't done a bad job but thought for the price the wheels would come back like new.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Roundness of the wheel and what the disc does have nothing to do with each other... you probably have a warped or faulty disc rotor
    left the forum March 2023
  • koontz
    Roundness of the wheel and what the disc does have nothing to do with each other... you probably have a warped or faulty disc rotor

I understand what you are saying but the rotar doesnt move from side to side catching the pads it moves forward towards the front of the bike if that makes sense like its not completly round, ie the wheel isnt trued radially.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Again, disc and wheel have nothing to do with each other... faulty disc, faulty hub or bad rotor installation... think about it and then come back saying: "of course, you are right" :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ugo is correct, the problem you have with the rotor is nothing to do with the trueness of the wheel. By the way it is straight forward to true wheels without a jig, or you could have probably bought a jig for less than Evans charged you for truing the wheels!
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    koontz wrote:
    ...I can do most things but don't have a jig and they are disc wheels...
    Wheels can be trued without a jig. Using rubber bands to attach a ruler, a nail, or anything you have to hand to your bike turns the frame into a truing stand. Disc wheels don't need to be treated any differently, although you can true the rotors at the same time using nothing more than an adjustable spanner. Much cheaper than paying someone else to do it!
  • koontz
    Again, disc and wheel have nothing to do with each other... faulty disc, faulty hub or bad rotor installation... think about it and then come back saying: "of course, you are right" :wink:

All hail, anyway you are right in that the disc is attached to the hub not the wheel, still dont know how the disc can end up egg shaped though.