bleed or burp disc brake

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
what is the best way to sort out a disc brake that feels spongy ?

Basically my rear disc brake, the lever when pressed feels spongy and nearly goes back to the handlebar.

I've looked on youtube at how to videos and there seems to be two ways burping the brake or bleeding it.

What would you guys recommend ?

thanks

shaun

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bleeding.
    Burping is rude.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Does it need either, or does it need the pad advancing, does the lever have a free travel adjust....start with the setup and basics before trying to bleed it.

No idea what burping is but it sounds like a bodge that some people claim will work but probably doesn't work properly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    Burping is taking the reservoir cover off the lever and pumping the brake to get air out the system but from reading up on this, if the pads are worn and not new you can overfill the system pushing out the pistons giving you trouble when fitting new brake pads etc.

Pad advancing what is this ?

I have tweaked the reach adjustment on the lever which has improved the feel a bit, I can't bleed the brake as I don't have a 7mm spanner in my tool box.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's what shops are for. Some sell spanners.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    cooldad wrote:
    That's what shops are for. Some sell spanners.

yes you are right but no shops even halfords was open when i started to do the bleed process after work at half 8 last night, but in my earlier post altering the lever reach a little has firmed up the lever.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Altering lever reach won't firm it up, it may feel like it has, but either it only feels like it or it has for some other reason, probably advancing the pads when messing around.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.