Roadie needs help with a cheap cross project please

2»

Comments

• galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    LBS have advised there’s a 5 week wait for the Pro6 in my size in sick green so I’m probably going for a white one instead.
    Just before I do though could any owners of the sick green or anyone who has seen one in the flesh quote me a picture that is colour accurate as there seem to be quite a few shades on the google results.
    Wheels are looking like Shimano WH-RX31 as good offer on them from my lbs.
    Still undecided as to what running gear will be, 105 or apex/rival, no preference really just whatever’s the best deal on Ebay or in the classifieds at the time.

And if I got Tektro Lyra brakes for example which come with rotors (6 bolt I believe) would I need new rotors as the Shimano wheels are bolt through ?

Cheers
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    the shimano wheels will need either shimano centrelock rotors - or adapters to fit your 6 bolt rotors to centrelock - which uses a splined interface with a lock ring rather than 6 bolts. The lock ring uses the same tool as a shimano freewheel BTW.

As for colour of the green, i think the kinesis website is as accurate as you'll get, it would have been my first choice but I got a red frame for a good discount on ebay instead
  • galatzo
    Ordered in white this morning, couldn't wait 5 weeks even though I doubt it will be built in that time and sometimes these long lead times can end up being extended.
    Shimano WH-RX31 wheels ordered too.
    Sadly I have a spreadsheet for the rest of the bits I'm going to need.
    Watch this space....
  • jomoj
    Good stuff. When the frame arrives I would advise a bit of check over and preparation before you start bolting stuff on.
    namely, check the threads on all the frame and fork bosses and if necessary, chase them out with a thread tap. I had to do this on the fork eyelets and fork mudguard mount as it was impossible to get a bolt into them. You could get the bottom bracket faced but unless there is a load of overspray on it it may not be needed. Finally, check the inside of the seat tube, especially around the slot and the top. You can get some sharp burrs that will score the seat post so use a needle file and some fine grade abrasive paper to take off the edges.
  • galatzo
    Thanks
    My lbs are supplying the frame and I know they'll check it first.
    I was planning on them fitting the headset and bb/chainset then I'll have a go at the rest (I've never done it before and I'm not that mechanically minded but as long as bb and headset are done how hard can it be ?)
    Another purchase - got a pair of used, well they look perfect, Panaracer cinder x tyres for £16 ex p&p !
    Decent review for the on road.cc although it was 5 years ago.
    More deals like that and I'll be on the mud quicker than I thought.
  • galatzo
    Could anyone recommend some cheap disc brakes please.
    I’ve ordered Shimano RX31 wheels so will need centre lock rotors if brakes are to come with rotors.
    Am I best getting Avid bb5 and then buying new rotors or get Shimano Alivio and buy rotors separately or something else ?
    Road and cross disc brakes seem loads more expensive than mtb.
    There’s loads of mtb disc brakes on Ebay, would any of them suffice ?

Thanks
  • jomoj
    MTB levers pull a different amount of cable to a road lever so the brakes are correspondingly tuned. An MTB cable brake might work or it might be a costly mistake. Search for centre lock adapter and you'll find what you need to fit 6 bolt rotors on your wheels, if that's what the brakes come with.

FTR I got Shimano BR517 brakes and RT66 rotors
  • galatzo
    Picked up the frame and wheels on Saturday :D
    Frame and wheels are much heavier than I’m used to but then it’s a different beast but overall I'm very impressed with the look of the wheels and the frame.
    Frame 1500gr
    Fork 500gr
    Fr wheel 870gr
    Rr wheel 1080gr
    And got bars and a stem off Ebay last night, used FSA SL-K stem for £16 and FSA Vero bars new for £15.
    Think I’ll be getting one of them there new Charge Scoop saddles in black with a white base.
    Never been a fan of the shape of Shimano’s 10 speed levers (was Campag Chorus for years until I went with Force 22 for my road bike last November) so I’m considering hanging on for 11 speed 105 or trying to pick-up some used 11 speed Ultegra bits and maybe just use a cheap used FSA chainset for now as budget seems to be going up somewhat.
    That said Rose do a couple of reasonably priced non series Shimano chainsets in black, either a 48x34 at £55 or a 46x36 at £51 which’d do the trick.
    It’s starting to take a bit of shape though now rather than just being and idea in my head !

20140607_114506.jpg

20140607_123027.jpg
  • jomoj
    boxes... nice. I think you need to clean your camera lens though :)

here's mine, nearly done. Not sure about the orange tape, I might just stick with black.
  • galatzo
    20140613_174944.jpg
    Slowly getting there.
    Still need some of the more costly components like shifters, disc brakes and chainset, got both mechs.
    Easton post just doesn't look good so either Kinesos alloy or an FSA will be fitted but all in all it's looking good.
    Due to the extra clearence on the fork and big tyres I'm not going tneed as many spacers as first thought ( head tube is 11cm versus 13cm on my road bike).
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    Pretty much all together now, just waiting for the brakes to arrive.
    I went for the Kore Kross Race Plus, I'm just hoping I'll be happy with them over the mini v's
    105 bottom bracket
    Tiagra Compact Chainset
    Sora front & rear mechs I had.
    Deda Bars, Tape & Stem.
    Saddle & Seatpost I had
    Wheels I had. Hope Hubs, Open Pro CD 32 spokes
    I've gone with 28mm Panaracers for now to use as commute and bikepacking rides.
    Mudguards, Rack & Cyclo X tyres to follow.
    3222F60B-4C25-408A-AB19-E8DE87714C50.jpg
    27BCE7FC-FA7C-41F6-BDCB-373D90D196A1.jpg
    77B011FB-F033-41DB-AB12-72555CD926BD.jpg
    ....like it's golden
  • jezzasnr
    Oh, flats on there just for setting up. Will switch to SPD or Looks depending on where & what I'm up too.
    ....like it's golden
  • jomoj
    Looking nice. I'd recommend dropping the front cable hanger as low as it will go though. It's best to keep that cable as short as possible to stop the fork juddering under braking. Even better to have the hanger mounted on the fork.
  • jezzasnr
    Thank you. 1st job for the morning when I'm back from the sunny Sunday group ride.
    I'm childishly excited!
    ....like it's golden
  • jezzasnr
    All done.
    th_9B4D8000-87FD-4619-9073-7DEC310410CB.jpg
    ....like it's golden
  • jomoj
    Ditto
    IMG_20140627_095550_zps8d918279.jpg
  • wifflebat
    wifflebat Posts: 8
    *dribble*
  • galatzo
    Mine should be done in a week or so.

Need some advise on pedals and shoes though. Will be using with kids on paths and on road, have Time RXS on best road bike but reckon I need something that clips one side but ok to use with normal shoes on the other, suppose this means SPDs ?

Any recommendations welcome.

Ta
  • jomoj
    shimano do some spd / platforms. A-530 or something like that..? They also do some platfomrs with an pop-up spd cleat in the middle but you might feel it through a soft shoe. Or you could get some trainer style spd shoes.

Which brakes did you go for in the end? I ask because I tried mixing the BR517s with older shimano levers and they didnt pull enough cable to be effective. Had to put on some newer 5700 series 105 levers and they work really well. The lever and brake combination seems to be quite critical in my limited experience.

Also, I took the bike to yorkshire last weekend (really busy there for some reason...) and they got fully tested on some big long descents. This was in the dry but I was really impressed. There's not a load more braking power there but its much easier to apply and is smooth and consistent. I was tempted to get some TRP Spyres but so far the shimano brakes are doing the job.
  • galatzo
    I got some br cx77 calipers off ebay for £50 but then sold them as I got some tektro lyras for £16 for a pair ! as this is supposed to be a budget build. Got some rotors coming tomorroe for a fiver each but did go new for a 105 chainset from planet x at £60 and 105 sti levers for £105 from ribble as used prices were too high given what I could get them for new.
    Charge saddle was returned as matt finish didnt work and got a concor carbon for £30 same as the one on my road bike( they retail around £150!)
    The lyras prob arent as good as the shimanos but for my use and budget they should be fine plus it means it will be finished sooner.
    Just looking for a gloss seatpost to match now, hopefully planet x to match stem as sold the fsa or even a Kinesis one.
    Watch this space...
  • jomoj
    ...another bit of advice - do not skimp on brake cables. Get some compressionless outers like jagwire, it makes a real difference especially on the back which has a full length cable.

Impressions of the BR517 brakes (would apply to CX77 also) is that they are progressive and have plenty of power. As the pads wear you need to wind in both the cable and the fixed pad, which needs a 3mm allen key. It's not a big deal but you just to keep on top of it. I am tempted to replace with the TRP Spyre once they come back in stock though.

really enjoying my pro6 now I've had a few weeks and miles on it. It's quick on the tarmac (had fun hammering some of the TDF route before they closed the roads :) )and fun off road. The front end is really solid but the geometry makes it feel quite nimble. I like it.
  • galatzo
    Planet-X received my chainset back this morning so hopefully I'll get the correct size back by Friday and then away we go but these things always get scuppered by the weekend so I've prepared myself for the worst !
  • galatzo
    Well I finally got it completed at the end of July but then I went on hols so not really taken it anywhere yet.
    Unsure of best pedal options at the moment so hence the cheapo platforms I had in the shed.
    I think the 35c tyres are going to be overkill for my needs but I got them for £8 each to get me going, I think something around 28 may be better because I will be on roads and tow paths predominantly.
    Position still needs tweaking hence saddle and bar angle.
    Got back on my road bike this morning and it feels like the brakes don’t work anymore after using the discs ! (Ended up with Tektro Lyras.)
    Swapped the Shimano wheels for some Kinesis which are certainly lighter, some lighter tyres and it’ll feel different again.
    Anyway here’s the pics

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg
  • I'm selling my cross bike - see here - any good? http://www.lfgss.com/thread126943.html

Mini Vs on front, canti on back works fine from my experience...

I've ridden cross with fulcrums - totally fine. I'm including a pair (spare) in the sale. You could run one pair as 'road' tyres and one as 'cross'...

Check the "lfgss site" mate, I've responded to the AD you have posted