Cannondale rz120 v trigger

jas754
jas754 Posts: 26
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, after a bit of advice, found some bargain bikes at Paul's cycles, I'm sure you know the place! Anyway I'm after a bike for general xc local stuff for riding through the week but something that can handle trail centers at a week end, so I'm thinking a 120mm fs bike should be enough? My last bikes were a zesty and a prophet lefty which both had a little more travel, and really fancying another lefty
Now I found a rz120 xlr 2 at 1550 quid, looks a well spec'd bike and nearer my budget, and then there's a trigger carbon 2 which I'm really liking, but think it's maybe abit over kill for what I'll be doing, any thoughts on these two bikes

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd have the cheaper one. Looks a good bike if you like leftys
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would avoid anything with proprietary bits, so not a lefty fan, or that weird Dyad shock - big hassle when something goes wrong.
    Trigger does seem a bargain, but makes me wonder why they presumably didn't sell very well. Apart from the stupid initial price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Lefty forks are very good. Stiff and well damped. TF Tuned can get parts and service them. If it does ever die then you can just fit a normal fork.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Lefty forks are very good. Stiff and well damped.

Rode a couple last week. Very good. Does look as if your bike's broken, though!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Would not choose the RZ 120 tbh. Have had a 140 Rize since 2008 and imho the longer travel suits the frame
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How do you know it won't ride even better or equally well with 120mm?
  • jas754
    Thanks for the replies guys, I know what you mean cooldad, but I do like something a bit different, was close to buying a mondraker foxy with the strange frontend, but the spec on the low end isn't great. I have no issues with lefty forks, had one on an 07 plate bike and that worked flawlessly, the rear shock is a different story, no one seems to have a good word for fox stuff never mind this hybrid thing.

My guess they didn't sell well is coz it has 26in wheels and only 120mm travel, not really the norm nowadays.

Still undecided, heart says the rz for the decent spec at good price heads telling me hmmmm carbon, lol
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    There's an interesting RZ120 going to be coming up soon. This one...

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12959391

Check out the last few posts in the thread. And make sure you go through the whole thread to see all the mods he's done.

Might be worth having a chat with The Secret Rider about it.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • There's an interesting RZ120 going to be coming up soon. This one...

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12959391

Check out the last few posts in the thread.

Might be worth having a chat with The Secret Rider about it.

Thanks Angus !

To the OP always happy to chat PM me if you want my number might be good to give you some experience of 120/1 ownership
  • jas754
    Cracking bike you have aaron! Had a good read through your thread, lots of nice upgrades there :D I mite of been interested but its a lefty im after really

unfortunetely the rz120 xrl 2 I was looking at mite be out, im not exactly a small person n I dont think the stans crest rims would be upto the job, from reading up there more an xc racer rim
  • You don't want a lefty :) ha

Plus only the early rz's were speced with them mate.

As for the crests when I very recently spent a long long time looking and asking questions about rim choice

I heard of people who were 90kg plus and running crest and others that would not go near them personaly it depends what you want from the rim I went for te arch ex (between the flow and the crest) due to it being a great mix of weight and strength it allows me to ride without worry and enjoy the stiff wheel the hope hub gives with the rim

Saying about weight and that you want a lefty of course it all depends on what hub you go for front and rear as to how they build.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I have an RZ120, and to be fair for what you say you ride it sounds like a fitting match. I like mine for being fast on it's feet (no doubt because of it's light wheels) and a comfortable place to be perched. Where it loses out for me is that it's rather steep and gives me little inspiration when trying to get it airbourne, or tackling steeper terrain, but thats more down to you to decide as to what you want out of a bike.
    On the subject of Stans Crests, mine runs the older Olympic rims and the rear was getting pretty out of shape but no dents as of yet and it straightened out alright. I'm 75kgs. Feather light wheels though, like dropping 2 gears compared to mavic crossrides !

I'm going to be selling mine as I want something more "enduro".....memories of my old Scott Nitrous just came flooding back riding such bikes. That and reading too many magazines :lol:

264BFBED-6E52-48E1-9470-E03419B600CE.jpg
  • jas754
    Thanks for all the replies, bit of an update!

Made a backwards step after realizing the shock on the trigger isnt suitable for my size, even tried mojo for custom valving the dyad which is a no go and the rz being spec'd for someone alot lighter with the crest rims, so..... gone back for the slightly more travel im used too at 140mm and ordered in a mondraker foxy. It is the base model and will need a few upgrades but managed a good deal by pre ordering as there out of stock at the mo.
  • 26" ? What you going to upgrade
  • jas754
    Its the 650b 2014 model, im thinking brakes and wheels for starters maybe :D

just need to break it too the missus not, she saw the full price on one in evans at weekend and wasnt impressed, eek
  • Good man. She'll come around mate. :)

I'm still deciding if to put the sale up for sale .... Can't bring myself to post the advert :-0 LOL