How to level an uneven saddle

downhill paul
downhill paul Posts: 236
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I have a specialized riva road saddle on my bike. I have only ever had flat saddles on my bike so I am unsure how to level one shaped like the one I have now.
the nose and tail are slightly raised with a dip in the center.
are you supposed to level the entire saddle, just the nose or just the center?

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    There are no rules for saddle angle. Although many like it level the best thing is to experiment until you find the sweet spot.
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    Websites will tell you to use the centre section of a saddle if it curves up at both ends.

That may be a good idea, but it is not easy to be consistent. So, I use the whole saddle and an iPad app called Surface Level.

The advantage of this approach is that once you have found the angle you like it is easy to replicate it exactly when you change bikes, or remove your saddle for some reason. Even if the surface you are on is not level you can just press a button to calibrate the level and be guaranteed accuracy.

My saddle tips up a little more at the back. Comfort for me is between 3 and 3.5 degrees nose down. If I try to put a mini level or something on the centre section I find it very hard to get it anywhere close to within 2 degrees.

As the app works on a phone as well I know I always have something with me to get it right.
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    I would start with trying to level the centre then adjust as needed to find what's best for you.
    I have the nose slightly raised but everybody is different.

Geoff
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    iPad Schmipad. Telephone schmelephone.

Go to B & Q. Buy one of their small £2.99 spirit levels (about 10 inches long, generally found in the baskets under the big spirit levels).

Place bike on flat level surface (I must admit that I use the kitchen floor for this as I am sure (well 99%) that is it the levellest place I have). Place spirit level on seat, level off.

Remember that sometimes seats raise themselves at one end another as the bolts are done up so just note this when setting pre-tightened level.

While you're doing all this take off the saddle and all bolts, give them a good clean and grease up - this won't cause slip at all but will stop any annoying creaks.

Telephone/apps/iPads - they'll be the death of craftwork and civilisation, you mark my words.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • littledove44
    Why go to b and q to buy something that is less accurate, and you don't always have with you, when you could use something you have with you that works perfectly every time in all conditions?

You have perfectly explained what a Luddite is. :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Because not everyone has telephone that has an app. Because telephones break. Because not everyone has a iPad.
    Because its nice to do a job with tools and figure out how things work - and if you want to level down the middle of the saddle then the spirit level will fit nicely, and not sit on the edges.

You can also leave it in the tool box/lend it to people unlike a telephone.

And also because we did this to a friend's saddle at the weekend - unfortunately his iPhone gave an incorrect level as opposed to the spirit level.

Oh dear, oh dear - don't be cross. The sun is shining. And so long as you are happy, that's the main thing.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I have several spirit levels of varying sizes, some have paint splatters on them some have concrete splatters.

But I have just downloaded the app - which was free.

I think, today i'm going to use my iphone to check my saddle. 8)
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    A spirit level is fine if you only want to get it level, not if you want to find your preferred angle and stick with it and even one degree less or more in tilt can make a big difference. I use an i-phone digital spirit level app to re-create the exact angle I prefer, it's very good.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • littledove44
    Oh dear, oh dear - don't be cross. The sun is shining. And so long as you are happy, that's the main thing.

Clearly, as a Luddite, you do not know what a smiley face means :D
  • Matthewfalle
    But what if you don't have an ifone?

And yes - a luddite and proud of it. Now I'm off to select a record from my vinyl collection :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • downhill paul
    downhill paul Posts: 236
    If I use a spirit level to level the whole saddle from nose to tail, this leaves the nose pointing up by quite a lot. until moving my saddle forward slightly, I nearly always felt myself sliding forward on the saddle.
    I have heard it said that if you are sliding forward it could be because you need to lower the nose of the saddle. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it's supposed to work.
    I'm just not sure what to do with the saddle it's self.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Try just getting the nose section level so the back is raised, work from there.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    But what if you don't have an ifone?

And yes - a luddite and proud of it. Now I'm off to select a record from my vinyl collection :)

I would say that to be a proper luddite you'd need to choose a record from your record collection. Using "vinyl" implies that you have a collection of records on CD and that you're deliberately choosing to ignore them.
  • Matthewfalle
    I have singles, 12" and LPs to choose from - can you have records on CD or would they be CDs?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I'd say CDs and records. I'll put a record on the turntable and a CD in the CD player. I probably wouldn't put a record on from my vinyl collection.