Bib shorts for 162 kms with climbs

antonyfromoz
antonyfromoz Posts: 482
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I know that there are a lot of these threads but I couldn't find one with the information I want. I am riding a mountainous sportive (162 kms ) and am looking at some mid priced bib shorts to make it all a bit more comfortable. I currently ride in either craft or pearl izumi bibs (all med size) and I am looking for some bibs with a bit better pad but cannot find any locally so it will have to be bought on the net. The bibs i am considering are:
Sportful Gruppetto Classic http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-gruppe ... -bibshort/
Sugoi evolution team http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sugoi-evolution-team-bib-short/
Exteondo Orhi http://www.merlincycles.com/etxeondo-or ... 69240.html
DHB either the Aeron Pro or the Goldline http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-goldline-bib-short/

Any happy (or unhappy) user comments will be appreciated - they all come in at between £68 to £90 so any other similarly priced suggestions will also be considered. I think i will be a medium in DHB an Sugoi but a large in the other two (175cm, 32" inseam and 32/33" waist with wide shoulders)

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Castelli velocissimo are excellent, and around £80.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Castelli with Kiss3 pad gets my vote - try Castelli Cafe
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Assos T-Pro S2 shorts at the Assos factory outlet - £89
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Buy the Etxeondos - you won't regret it.
    Was so impressed with them I bought a second pair.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Assos T-Pro S2 shorts at the Assos factory outlet - £89

Very rapid despatch / delivery. Received mine yesterday but have only had time to try them on. Initial impressions are that they fit like a glove and hold the pad firmly but comfortably in position, so the sizing guide is spot on. Test ride tonight hopefully...
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    +1 on the Etxeondo. Did 225km in a pair of Dicolors, and felt much less awful than I probably should have.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    RC Pro insert in the Sugoi is good but not remotely in the same league for longer distance as the Assos S5 Uno pad though it took me a couple of rides to get used to the slightly bulkier Assos. The Assos can be had for £100 if you shop around, expensive but worth it. What's more Assos repaired a pair foc recently - piece of mind
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    defride wrote:
    ......What's more Assos repaired a pair foc recently - piece of mind
    I wouldn't call a piece of your mind "free of charge"..... oh wait "peace", nevermind.....
  • Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Velocissimo are not climbing bib shorts, they're better for the flats.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Ai_1 wrote:
    defride wrote:
    ......What's more Assos repaired a pair foc recently - piece of mind
    I wouldn't call a piece of your mind "free of charge"..... oh wait "peace", nevermind.....

fear enough :]
  • jmccabe
    jmccabe Posts: 28
    +1 on the Etxeondo. Did 225km in a pair of Dicolors, and felt much less awful than I probably should have.

Interesting, Merlin have Dicolors in their sale (limited choice of size) at £49.99 at the moment.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Wait! What?

I am meant to change my shorts before going up a hill?

I presume I have to carry three pairs - flat, uphill and downhill yes?

This could revolutionise my riding!
  • Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    marcusjb wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Wait! What?

I am meant to change my shorts before going up a hill?

I presume I have to carry three pairs - flat, uphill and downhill yes?

Of course. Although obviously the effect of changing your shorts is negated unless you are wearing climbing socks
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    and you'll struggle if you go over 150km with the assos s2 pad. it was specifically designed for rides of 120 to 149km regardless of terrain. they are also not sportive compatible.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • jmccabe
    gsk82 wrote:
    they are also not sportive compatible.

Eh?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well, I'll let you know how I get on in the 3 pistes (a mountainous 165km sportive) wearing my £6 Lidl shorts ;-)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    bompington wrote:
    Well, I'll let you know how I get on in the 3 pistes (a mountainous 165km sportive) wearing my £6 Lidl shorts ;-)

That's of no use to him, he specifically needs them tested over 162kms. I don't know how you dare come on here with your hollow offers. Have a word with yourself.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • antonyfromoz
    TBH, if they are really comfortable I could probably ride an extra 3kms.

(there is a certain atmosphere on the forum at the moment - but thank you to all who gave helpful advice)...
  • jmccabe
    Have you made your mind up though?! FWIW - I'm in a similar boat; looking for a decent pair of bibshorts that will keep me comfortable up to 100miles or so. I've currently got Altura ProGel but I'm not convinced they're what I need. I've been looking at Endura FS-260 Pro but some reviews said they're fine up to about 3 hours; I need more like 6-7 hours!
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    jmccabe wrote:
    Have you made your mind up though?! FWIW - I'm in a similar boat; looking for a decent pair of bibshorts that will keep me comfortable up to 100miles or so. I've currently got Altura ProGel but I'm not convinced they're what I need. I've been looking at Endura FS-260 Pro but some reviews said they're fine up to about 3 hours; I need more like 6-7 hours!

Just buy 2 pairs of FS-260, when you hit 3 hrs put on the fresh pair and you are good for another 3.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Dowtcha wrote:
    jmccabe wrote:

Just buy 2 pairs of FS-260, when you hit 3 hrs put on the fresh pair and you are good for another 3.

If you buy a pair in red then you will go much quicker, therefore cutting down the ride time.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    My serious answer as someone who does spend quite a bit of time in the saddle and who owns all sorts of snazzy shorts like rapha team pro, assos etc.

DHB Aeron Pro are hard to beat for value.

They are very comfortable, well made and fit well.

I have only ridden a maximum of around 300km in one go in them, but it was during some horrendous rain storms (wet shorts that don't suit your behind soon make themselves known).

I really rate them.

Of course I love my tarty stuff, but the DHB shorts are just superb value for money.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    jmccabe wrote:

Compare the 3 levels of pad in DHB shorts, choose one with thickest pad. Job done. Not difficuilt really :lol:
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    derosa wrote:
    Buy the Etxeondos - you won't regret it.
    Was so impressed with them I bought a second pair.

I've bought three now, in two months. Love them.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Spookily I did 164km on a hilly ride in Sunday in my ordinary DHB aeron bibs.
    I was riding in my Belfast giro commemorative stage top though - I think that made all the difference.
  • antonyfromoz
    Dowtcha wrote:
    jmccabe wrote:

Much as I liked this idea - although i think for a full 6 hours you would need to wear both pairs at once - I have ordered the Etxeondo and Sportful shorts from my original list to see which ones are best. I am not certain that I will keep both once they arrive but it seems to me that they are both quality shorts so it is just a matter of which one fits best (and it will be interesting to compare the pads). I will give my feedback once they arrive. Thank you once again to everyone who made a sensible suggestion and thanks to the others who made me laugh!
  • jmccabe
    jmccabe wrote:

Compare the 3 levels of pad in DHB shorts, choose one with thickest pad. Job done. Not difficuilt really :lol:

That's a thought.

What I've been doing is looking at the Cytech website that shows all the pads they make, with recommendations for maximum length of ride. The problem with that though is that the dhb ones seem to have slightly different, or less specific, names to the ones on the Cytech website.

When they say "Tour Air" for example, Cytech don't have a listing for that but they have a "Tour" in their medium distance section (up to 3 hours) and a "Tour HP Carbonium" in their long distance section (they say up to 5 hours).

The dhb Goldline at £85 or so (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-goldline-bib-short/) explicitly says it's got the "Comp HP" which is listed on the Cytech website as being recommended for up to 6 hour rides (http://www.elasticinterface.com/cycling ... .php?id=48).

So, actually, when you look at it that way it's not necessarily quite as simple as it looks.
  • antonyfromoz
    with the DHB shorts, my understanding is that only the Goldline seems to be recommended for rides of 6 hours, with the Aeron Pro having a pad recommended for shorter rides (although many people have happily used these for very long rides so it really is subjective so YMMV). If you buy the Goldline shorts then get them through the British Cycling Wiggle shop and the price comes down to under £80.
  • raboldi
    raboldi Posts: 2
    I've got a pair of DHB Aeron Pro and they are absolutely sound. Done a couple of centuries in them along with a 200km ride. Never failed me, fully recommend them.

I remember getting them in a sale for £52, can compare them to much pricier shorts.
  • jmccabe
    The Aeron Pro do look like a good deal. One of my concerns is my size; I'm between 13 and 13 and a half stone (at the moment - hopefully will get a bit lower as I was probably around 16st a few months ago) and 6'1" so I feel like I ought err a bit on the heavy duty side.