Campagnolo chorus 10 speed advice

rolyat23
rolyat23 Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I am just about to buy a road bike (previously I have had mountain bikes), I have been given my old mans old bike that is about 8 years old that has full campagnolo chorus 10 speed groupset on it with campag Zonda wheels. This bike has been well looked after and hardly used..... He bought a new trek Madone 5.2 as better fit for him these days.

I can either buy a new frame that fits me and put this gear on it or buy a complete bike and sell the bits off this bike.

Can anyone give me any advice as to whether it is worthwhile putting this gear on a new frame or should I buy a complete bike???

Comments

• Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Chorus Is pretty good stuff, if you can live with ten speed and it still works well I would keep it and get a frame. But if you fancy yourself 11 speed imp you'll have to get a new bike. Pit could be less hassle to just buy a new bike, but if your the type who likes a project.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • jamie4759
    jamie4759 Posts: 117
    I would stick with the 10 speed. The Chorus 10 speed is rare these days and IMHO is top quality. The only 11 speed groupset I would swap it for is Chorus and above if you can afford to. I suppose the 10 speed stuff might get a good price on Ebay or via the classifieds, but it depends what condition it is in. I would use the 10 speed on a new frame. That would look great on a steel or TI frame.
  • rolyat23
    Thanks for he advice guys, I guess I now need to have a look and find a frame...... I guess that could be the hard part.
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    I agree with much of the above. Have a look at the usual suspects like Dolan, Planet X or Ribble Cycles for a decent frame. Perhaps one might suit you.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Chorus 10? It was junk... don't bother and sell it to me for 50 quid instead... :wink:

Chorus 10... mmmh, nice... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If it was my pile of Chorus 10 speed you'd have to smash my fingers to get it off me!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    Rolf F wrote:
    If it was my pile of Chorus 10 speed you'd have to smash my fingers to get it off me!

That's not a problem, I have smashed fingers before to get hold of Campagnolo components... :wink:
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Rolf F wrote:

That's not a problem, I have smashed fingers before to get hold of Campagnolo components... :wink:

Hmm, dark. @OP seems to be relatively rare, better keep it to annoy everyone that wants it.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • rolyat23
    well I am leaning towards using the components and wheels on a new frame, I just know I will have issues now getting the chainset to fit a new frame!!!!

can't wait to get out there now!!
  • ugo.santalucia
    rolyat23 wrote:
    well I am leaning towards using the components and wheels on a new frame, I just know I will have issues now getting the chainset to fit a new frame!!!!

can't wait to get out there now!!

Not really, just steer clear of any frame with press fit bottom bracket and you will be fine. That is by the way a good piece of advice in general as they are for the most rubbish... :wink:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm with the others - find a frame that fits you and has a threaded bottom bracket (its probably an "English 68mm"), and move the other components over. Campag is great, a 10 speed Chorus Grouppo will certainly feel nice, have good street cred and be the envy of your mates :lol:

Take the opportunity to give everything a good clean & overhaul, and probably fit a new chain, cables, brake pads, bar tape, inner tubes and tyres.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava