Seized quick release skewer

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited May 2014 in Commuting chat
At the weekend I tried to take off my front wheel to get it in the back of a tiny work car and found out that the quick release skewer had seized - I couldn't get the thing off the end. I don't ever really have the need to take the wheel off - only had one puncture (bangs on something wooden) and that was the back wheel the other week so I can see how it has happened.

I have tried WD-40 but this hasn't worked. Since I broke my wrist I don't have much in the way of leverage, and I just can't get it undone. It's not particularly urgent (and probably won't be until I get a puncture!) but I am doing the Rapha Womens 100 in July, and going out for longer rides at the weekend and during the week nights as a bit of prep. This mainly consists of schlepping up and down various northern moors, some of which can be quite empty, and I don't really want to be stuck up there with a flat and a wheel I can't get off. Any ideas?
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You need to lengthen the lever so you can apply more force.

Any tools like ring spanners? Slip the ring over the lever to increase leverage.

Or a hollow tube that can be forced over the lever. Thinking old MTB or flag road bars? Broom/mop handle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    not too long otherwise she'll just snap the lever - although once you've done that you're into a dismantle job.

personally I'd make sure I'd got a spare QR skewer before attempting any significant leverage on the stuck one!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,636
    Do you actually mean the nut, rather than the QR lever. More likely to seize, and depending on the shape, pretty tricky to grip hard enough to get it off without mangling it. A good pair of pliers or plumbers wrench, with a bit of old inner tube to protect the nut might do the job, so long as you can also hold the QR lever in the other hand to twist the other way. It may need a bit of hand strength to get a grip on the nut, so if your hand has list some strength, then the longer handled plumbers wrench will be easier than pliers. Hope that helps.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Which part isn't working? 1 or 2 here?

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 611839.pdf
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    redvee wrote:

Ok, it's number 2 that's stuck. I'll have a crack at it tonight with a pair of pliers and see if anything moves - thx guys.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    when you reassemble add some copaslip to the thread so that the chances of it happening again are minimised.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    msmancunia wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Ok, it's number 2 that's stuck. I'll have a crack at it tonight with a pair of pliers and see if anything moves - thx guys.

Not quite so bad then - pair of pliers may not grip well, stilsons or plumbing spanner could be easier as they're easier to handle - but it does depend how big your pliers are!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can get the correct sized spanner to sit over them and use that, it doesn't then wreck the plastic section.

I do have some spares of the plastic (wrapped round steel) nuts somewhere....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • redvee
    Stupid question but you haven't got the lever in the open position and just tightened the nut up?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Stupid question but have you tried turning it off and on again?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • redvee
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Stupid question but have you tried turning it off and on again?
    :lol:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Tried one of these, you can usually 'fix' anything with one :wink:

phqNxJ.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    New bike is the only answer
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.