Hybrid advice

Lollfred
Lollfred Posts: 7
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello guys, need your assistance and wondered if you could cast your eye over the following and how they compare:

Cube LTD CLS Pro City:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... lsrc=aw.ds

Specialized Crosstrail Disc 2014:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec042523

I would also appreciate any advice on something similiar in the 300-450 price bracket which could compare against these.

I would like a hybrid with front shocks and disc brakes as intend to ride flat paths / roads mostly.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you are only riding flat paths and roads I'd loose a heavy and rather poorly suspended fork and have rigids instead.

Have a look at the Voodoo Marasa from Halfords, flat barred 29" wheeled Hybrid, I know two very happy owners, one rides lots of country parks (mostly gravel tracks) the other uses his on his local (mild) MTB trails and then swaps to some road slicks for longer road rides, it has better drivertrain and brakes than either of those two and is probably a more comfortable ride without the undamped fork adding a pogo effect at the front (would you drive a car with no 'shock absorbers'?).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Discs are fine for anything really but I would avoid suspension - as above. Have a look at Boardman hybrids, as stocked by Halfords. Whyte do some nice hybrids too. If you want something different then the Fairdale weekender looks fun.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I can only echo what has been said. I use my bybrid for commuting, town riding and carting my little lad about. It's a 2009 cube curve and after about a year I swapped out the suspension forks for a kona project 2. They do the job and steer well but look nasty, wish I had got one with a rigid fork from the off.

Also, as it pains me to do maintenance on a utility bike I wish I'd gone for something with hub gears
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6