Having massive issues!! shimano freewheel cassette to single

andymiles
andymiles Posts: 9
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Please help!

Trying to convert my mountain bike to a single speed as the Mrs broke the gears and its just a cheap hybrid short commuter.

The bike has a shimano freewheel cassette which was a pain to get off. Anyway, that's done now but the threaded hub of the wheel is too short for the conversion kit I bought "a2z". Its a very short threaded hub which I'd imagine is typical of freewheel one block hubs.

So now I ask... How can I convert it to single speed? And assuming the other freewheel I bought it redundant... Does anyone want it?

Comments

• andymiles
    Link to pic of my current situation: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_lP8EH ... cslist_api

edit?usp=docslist_api
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    1. It is either a cassette or a freewheel.
    2. Your pics are not accessible.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 wrote:
    1. It is either a cassette or a freewheel.
    2. Your pics are not accessible.[/quote

Google logoDrive

You need permission

Want in? Ask the owner for access, or switch to an account with permission. Learn more
  • andymiles
    Apologies. I'm not a bike whizz. Hence my struggles. :x

This better?

https://flic.kr/p/norXmb

norXmb
  • freezing77
    edited May 2014
    andymiles wrote:
    Apologies. I'm not a bike whizz. Hence my struggles. :x

This better?

https://flic.kr/p/norXmb

norXmb

One of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dicta-SINGLESPEED-FREEWHEEL-1-8-3-32-16-17-18-CHROME-/300480121923?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item45f602cc43

The other gotcha is that they come in 1/8 and 3/32 sizes you need 3/32, and then choose the number of teeth.
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    It looks like that conversion kit replaces the cassette and would fit directly on to the freehub;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/A2Z-Mountain-Si ... B0071A3W7K

a2z_2.jpg

What have you removed as you either need a solution like freezing77 has posted or to reinstall the freehub and then use the conversion kit you've purchased... by the looks of things in the picture.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • freezing77
    Difficult to tell from the op pic but i suspect the wheel has a freewheel and not a cassette/freehub.

Looking at the pic again it is NOT a cassette, the A2Z cannot and will not work. A screw on single speed freewheel as manufactured by Dicta et al is what is required.

To the OP search for the phrase single speed freewheel, this will get you what you need.
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I wonder what was on there originally as the OP may have to deal with chainline issues.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • freezing77
    I wonder what was on there originally as the OP may have to deal with chainline issues.

If you look in the background of the pic there is a screw on multi sprocket (7 speed?) freewheel therefore you are spot on that chainline may be an issue.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    It looks like you've bought a kit to convert a cassette hub to single speed.

If the hub is screw-on, you need a single speed freewheel similar to this.
    They come in all price ranges from about £5 upwards. They get screwed on very tightly in use, and getting one off again is often difficult. There are a multitude of different removers, and you have to use the correct model. It's usually easiest if the remover is clamped in a big bench vice, and you turn the wheel rim.
  • andymiles
    Cheers guys. Had a look around and I can see what I need although you may be right chain line will probably be a issue as it was straight on the highest ratio / smallest cog on the freewheel originally. Bummer as its now all dismantled and fucked! Not sure where to go from here.. Haha. Thanks anyway.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    With a screw on freewheel (single) the chain line will be off. You may have to change the BB to alter the chainline if your BB is of the right type.

This has been mentioned though I have just realised.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • andymiles
    BB? :cry:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Bottom bracket.

Methinks that you have opened a hug can of worms and should merely smash the bike up with a hammer then go and buy a guerciotti/Franco Bianca in the sales and ride that instead.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • andymiles
    I have decided to contact the local bike shop although I can't help but feel the bike isn't worth fixing up now! :roll:

Thanks for the advice though folks... Been a nightmare. First I apparently needed a chain whip; then realised I actually needed the spline nut hub remover, finally got it off and now it turns out the conversion kit isn't right! Noiiightmare.

Bikes probably not even worth selling now? :oops:
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    You ought to be able to get a 2nd hand back wheel with a freehub for more or less free. Then you can use your single speed kit, not worry about your chainline, crank etc.

The only caveat is that you'll likely be offered a 8/9 speed rear wheel for 135mm dropouts, I guess your bike is a 7 speed with 126mm dropouts? (Measure the distance between the wheel slots at the back). In which case you can cold set the frame (bend it to fit) if it's steel or source a narrower freehub (ebay do 7 speed shimano freehubs but you'll most likely want a shimano hub to bolt them to.)
  • andymiles
    Good idea!

So a wheel with a rear hub like this will work with the conversion kit and allow me to use the spacers to fix the chain line issues?

rgr-3.jpg
  • freezing77
    Yes