Ultegra 5700 or 5800 calipers?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I have a 2013 defy 1 with 105 shifters and tektro calipers. Looking at upgrading the calipers. Would both the 5700 and 5800 calipers work? Is there much difference between them?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    5700 105 are the current 10sp groupset calipers, 5800 are the new 11sp groupset calipers

"Today Shimano launched a brand new version of the most popular road groupset worldwide, the 105. The new 105 (5800 series) adopts key features of the earlier introduced race proven groupsets Dura-Ace and Ultegra and brings it to the cycling enthusiasts for every day riding. The main new features are an 11-speed drivetrain that shifts more precise and lighter than ever, improved brake power and better control of the bike.

Compared to the previous 105 groupset (5700) Shimano made the brake system more efficient and increased brake power with 10%. This is mainly due to the new symmetrical dual-pivot brake caliper. The brakes are compatible up to 28c tires and also available in a direct mount version (BR-5810).

The groupset is available in black and silver and available from June 2014."
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    There won't be a noticeable difference. Except that you can't buy 5800 yet, of course ;)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    If it were me, I would buy the cheaper callipers and put the rest towards buying some Swissstop pads.

Having said that, has the 5800 group actually been released yet? Didn't think it was on sale until July?
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    If the difference is as pronounced as 6700/6800, I would wait. It's a fairly big redesign, not the usual tweakery.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've got 6700 calipers on one bike and 6800 on another, the difference.........squat. There's nothing wrong with 5700 calipers apart from the pads, buy some swissstop pads and you're sorted.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Yeah the stock pads are absolutely dire. Get some Swissstop Greens on there ASAP!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Or the new SwissStop FlashPRO BXP Blue pads if you can locate them.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    I've ridden 6700 and 6800, and the latter feel significantly better. There's more stopping power available when you brake from the hoods. I don't know if they've changed compounds as well as the obvious pivot redesign, but 6800 are the best road brakes I've used.

Seeing as 5800 lifts the 6800 design, I'd be surprised if there wasn't also a noticeable improvement.
  • MisterMuncher
    5800 also has increased clearance. A quick squizz at CRC reveals they'll be all of £5 dearer per calliper. No brainer, really.
  • Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    What's wrong with your current brake calipers? Are they slowing you up?
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Those that say 6800 is much better than 6700, have you used the same pads in the calipers, or just the stock pads that came with them?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I swapped my 5700 callipers for 6800 in the hope of better braking. The braking was not improved.
  • MisterMuncher
    Those that say 6800 is much better than 6700, have you used the same pads in the calipers, or just the stock pads that came with them?

I've used both with the stock pads and both with Koolstop Salmons and SwissStop Blues. I found the newer callipers had significantly better modulation and ultimate stopping power. The effect was more pronounced with matching 6800 levers, what with the altered cable pull and all, but still present on older levers (105 5700 and Tiagra 4600 tried). In all cases, I set the brakes up myself.
  • Slo Mo Jones
    They're just levers
  • MisterMuncher
    x000/x800 series have different cable pull to the preceding x900/x700 series. Yes yes, eventually, all things being equal, the same force gets transmitted to the pads, they move the same distance regardless, all that stuff, but the difference lies in how much lever throw and effort is involved, and the levels of feedback.
  • Slo Mo Jones
    x000/x800 series have different cable pull to the preceding x900/x700 series. Yes yes, eventually, all things being equal, the same force gets transmitted to the pads, they move the same distance regardless, all that stuff, but the difference lies in how much lever throw and effort is involved, and the levels of feedback.
    nonsense
  • MisterMuncher
    Oh, go on then. Which specific part is nonsense? That the levers have different cable pull, or that each calliper works best with the lever pulling the correct amount of cable?