recommend wheels in £300-400 cat please

sy1975
sy1975 Posts: 95
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I currently run a pair of Fulcrum 5's on my wilier, I would like to upgrade - Thinking Fulcrum 3's but would welcome other suggestions in this price bracket?
Sunny Days - De Rosa - King RS Action Azzurro lumina
Rain - Winter - Wilier - xp izoard "petacchi"
Classic - 1999 De Rosa - Planet - Aluminio

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sy1975
    sy1975 Posts: 95
    drlodge wrote:

thanks but its not a great post - just a couple of suggestions and the tubeless v tube debate.

I don't mind factory wheels, would run tubes and have campy groupset if that helps
    Sunny Days - De Rosa - King RS Action Azzurro lumina
    Rain - Winter - Wilier - xp izoard "petacchi"
    Classic - 1999 De Rosa - Planet - Aluminio
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    OP you've got the standard things to consider:

1) Weight, as in, are you heavy?
    2) Do you want Factory built or Handbuilt, or do you still need to decide or be persuaded one way or the other?
    3) Do you need aero? Or just want Aero for some purely aesthetic preference?
    4) Clinchers or Tubs?

...all of these things have been discussed week in week out, there are seemingly endless threads to go looking through for discussions and arguments on all of the above.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    for £300-£400 I would buy Zondas if forced to get a Factory wheelset, or rather get a set of handbuilts. Plenty of threads out there with Ugo giving good advice.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Just done exactly what you're going to do. Went to Velocity A23 rims, Sapim Race spokes and Miche hubs - handbuilt. light enough, very strong, extra width fattens out a 25mm tyre beautifully and the components are very nice. Circa £300 depending on who you get to build them for you.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • sy1975 wrote:
    I currently run a pair of Fulcrum 5's on my wilier, I would like to upgrade - Thinking Fulcrum 3's but would welcome other suggestions in this price bracket?

I upgraded the Fulcrum 5s on my Wilier to Shimano RS80 CL24s. Light and ideal for hilly sportives. Less flexible and more durable than their reputation (based on threads like this!) suggests. I'm 77kg and have done road races and inadvertent pot-hole excursions on them, and other than one minor buckle they have remained straight and true with no maintenance required in nearly 10,000km of use. The one buckle I did get cost a tenner to get trued at the LBS.