Garmin Edge Touring Plus - Battery Life

steveurch
steveurch Posts: 61
edited June 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

Had a lovely Garmin Touring Plus from the wife for my Birthday, and used it properly for the first time on Sunday, following the course for a 100-mile charity ride (Somerset 100, anyone else on here do it?). The mapping and navigation were great, but the battery died at mile 98, after approximately seven hours. Not good for a 'touring' navigation system!

I had the backlight set to the minimum 15 seconds, and have been right through all the settings to see if there's anything else I could have done to preserve battery life, but to avail.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers,

Steve.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Keeping the map display off or on show for a minimum helps battery life.
  • steveurch
    How do you do that? When the 'Low Battery' warning came on, the map display only came on when I needed to make a turn. I thought that was a great idea for general use, but can't seem to find a way of making the device do that automatically.....
  • I have a GET and without turn by turn navigation get about 15hrs battery life. With navigation I get about 10-11hrs

Have you just got it as it takes a couple of charges for the battery to be at full peak.
  • steveurch
    Thanks for that, someone else mentioned it probably needs a couple of discharge/recharge runs to reach full charge.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    steveurch wrote:
    How do you do that? When the 'Low Battery' warning came on, the map display only came on when I needed to make a turn. I thought that was a great idea for general use, but can't seem to find a way of making the device do that automatically.....

The Edge will automatically go to the map screen to display the turn details and revert to whatever screen you were on before once the turn has been negotiated. Leaving map screen on drains the battery as the device is having to redraw the map as you move about.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Most I have eked out of my touring (not plus) was 8~9 hours. Certainly no where near the claimed 17 hours I learnt to my dismay cycling to Paris over 2 days :( .
  • steveurch
    Cheers Dodgy, that's a great help. I assumed (like a dorfus!) that you had to have the Map screen on all the time, so never knew it would pop up when a turn was coming up!

Navt, does that help you at all?
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 9
    See if you can turn down the brightness too on the screen. On my 800 I can extend the battery life by having the brightness set low (don't need it too bright anyway).
  • steveurch
    Don't think you can adjust the brightness on the Edge Touring+
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    steveurch wrote:
    Don't think you can adjust the brightness on the Edge Touring+
    Yes you can. Read page 2 of the manual.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    steveurch wrote:
    Cheers Dodgy, that's a great help. I assumed (like a dorfus!) that you had to have the Map screen on all the time, so never knew it would pop up when a turn was coming up!

Navt, does that help you at all?

Not quite. I usually leave it on the data field screen which reverts to map when approaching junction.
  • On the 800 with the brightness set to about 25% I easily get 10 hours + when navigating, more when it is just on.
  • steveurch
    wongataa wrote:
    Yes you can. Read page 2 of the manual.

You're right, never spotted that before. Duh!
  • steveurch
    As I've had such a great response on here, can anyone tell me how to get the Touring+ to display 'Average Speed' whilst riding? I've been through all the options on the Data Fields, but just can't find it.......

:|
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    steveurch wrote:
    As I've had such a great response on here, can anyone tell me how to get the Touring+ to display 'Average Speed' whilst riding? I've been through all the options on the Data Fields, but just can't find it.......

I don't have a Touring, but press and hold one of the data fields you want to change, then select speed, then average speed.
  • phippss
    phippss Posts: 96
    Slightly off topic but I have also been buying a touring. How do you find the circular route plotting. No matter how I change the settings it seem to point me on tracks and paths. What am I doing wrong? Thanks
  • steveurch
    phippss wrote:
    No matter how I change the settings it seem to point me on tracks and paths. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Hi there, I haven't yet tried the round-routing, but in "Routing Options", "Routing Mode" it's set to "Cycling", and in "Avoidance Setup" it's set to avoid "Unpaved Roads" and "Narrow Trails". I'm hoping that will work as described!

Anyone else on here have experience of this feature?

:)
  • steveurch
    dodgy wrote:
    steveurch wrote:

I don't have a Touring, but press and hold one of the data fields you want to change, then select speed, then average speed.

Thanks once again Dodgy, that works a treat on the Touring+, I now have my data fields displaying exactly what I want!

:D
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    Looking at picking up the Garmin Edge Touring and was wondering if any of you guys and gals who have one feel about them? Any changes in thoughts after using them for a bit?
    FCN 7
  • steveurch
    I have the Touring+ and it's great, now I've worked out how it all works!