Removing Chris King NoThread "GripLock"

drlodge
drlodge Posts: 4,826
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Anyone done this i.e. removed the top part of their Chris King NoThread Headset? Had a go yesterday (without reading instructions) and the griplock part is tight on the carbon steerer.

Read the instructions just now and it says to tap the side of the steerer with your hand or rubber mallet to undo the "grip". Is it really that easy? Can't work out from the diagram how the griplock parts work and secure themselves to the steerer.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Comments

• jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    All you need to do is tap the top of the steerer tube, provided your front wheel is off the ground. Be careful if it comes apart though as it is not clear which way round the parts go the first time you take it apart.
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • drlodge
    Thanks - what the instructions say then..will give it a go tonight. The I can work out how it all comes apart/goes together!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    according to this it's a split wedge...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/30/int ... ck-system/

you can also try getting a pick into the gap between the ends, if you can lift one end just a smidge it'll release the pressure and come out easily
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • drlodge
    Looks like its the o-ring that's holding the split wedge in place, so I just have to dislodge it a smidge?
    Find me on Strava
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    with another headset (not ck) i've found that was all it took to loosen the wedge
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • drlodge
    Got it sorted, tapped the steerer tube repeatedly and the thing came loose. It didn't suddenly "ping" undone, but through tapping, the griplock slowly moved up the steerer and then came loose.
    Find me on Strava