Giro rest day chat

2»

Comments

• dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    edited May 2014
    Here is a little more from Rob Millar.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-di ... her-coming

Wilco Kelderman is looking forward to the time trial and speaks about having really good legs at the moment. Looking at the video in the link, I am surprised to see he is using a 110mm handlebar stem. I thought he might have a 130 or 140mm stem, given he is a tall lad.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kelderm ... talia-form

Uran is feeling confident and is happy with things so far.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rigober ... a-rest-day

I can't see Evans ceding any time to his GC rivals given that he is likely to extend his lead over most if not all of them in this week's time trial. Uran and a fully-fit Quintana remain his strongest rivals but Pozzi is right in the mix and there is a supporting cast of guys like Majka and Hesjedal who could also do something if they get into a big break on one of the mountain stages and take back a chunk of time. It is shaping up nicely.

DD.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Last year Nibali beat Evans by 6mins and Uran beat Evans by a minute.

Uran got a minute on the uphill TT, 1 min on a mountain stage and 30secs on another mountain stage. Evans got 1min on him in the regular TT. I hope Uran has got his climbing legs on.

Remember part of Evans time loss on the final mountain stage was due to a mechanical.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    He's also in better shape than last year.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    deejay wrote:
    Evans to let someone borrow the Pink when in a couple of days he is due to be last man off in the TT.
    A position as last man will give BMC time to record and let him know how much effort he can save for other days.
    Crazy to think anything else.

Surely it only matters that he starts behind other contenders, if a no hoper took 20 minutes tomorrow and went into pink that wouldn't be a problem. I'm not saying that is likely but I can't see why BMC would ride to stop it happening.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    If, and I don't mean to be indelicate, Quintana still has a sore arse he could really struggle in the 41.9km TT on Thursday. Inner Ring reckons it's one for pushing a big gear.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    Can Evans afford to risk letting the pink jersey go just to count on the TT given the weather so far? What if he gets rain on the course where other contenders don't? I know that is the nature of TTs but didn't Wiggins (or maybe it was David Millar) try to play around with a TT start time and get it spectacularly wrong?
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Can Evans afford to risk letting the pink jersey go just to count on the TT given the weather so far? What if he gets rain on the course where other contenders don't? I know that is the nature of TTs but didn't Wiggins (or maybe it was David Millar) try to play around with a TT start time and get it spectacularly wrong?
    Wiggins, Sky's first Tour. Went off early due to forecast being rain later. Rain came earlier. Interesting idea, if you can get the forecast spot on for a Prologue, then why not?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    deejay wrote:
    Evans to let someone borrow the Pink when in a couple of days he is due to be last man off in the TT.
    A position as last man will give BMC time to record and let him know how much effort he can save for other days.

Are you suggesting that Evans will ride to lose the Pink in the TT??! Seems highly unlikely if that's what you're suggesting.
  • Should we just use this as the spoiler thread for today's stage? It's not looking like there will be much going on other than the discussion on the previous pages of this thread about BMC shunting Pink.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Paulie W wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Are you suggesting that Evans will ride to lose the Pink in the TT??! Seems highly unlikely if that's what you're suggesting.
    That's a weird comment. Nothing that ludicrous.
    Evans wants the Pink till the end, and by being last man he will know how the other riders are progressing.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972