CO2 Inflators

alanryan86
alanryan86 Posts: 28
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I hope someone can shed some light on a theory I have.
Last time I rode my bike was about a month ago. I got a puncture on my way home. I changed the tube and removed the sharp item from the tube. I then used a 16g CO2 cartridge to inflate the tyre. When I went to my bike yesterday the tyre was flat, not completely, but not rideable. I removed the tube and no leaks showed in water. I have reinfected it and all is good. So what I'm asking is, do CO2 inflated tyres loose pressure quicker than standard inflated tyres?

Comments

• simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    No don't think so, could have been valve not shut/tightened up enough.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    alanryan86 wrote:
    I hope someone can shed some light on a theory I have.
    Last time I rode my bike was about a month ago. I got a puncture on my way home. I changed the tube and removed the sharp item from the tube. I then used a 16g CO2 cartridge to inflate the tyre. When I went to my bike yesterday the tyre was flat, not completely, but not rideable. I removed the tube and no leaks showed in water. I have reinfected it and all is good. So what I'm asking is, do CO2 inflated tyres loose pressure quicker than standard inflated tyres?

Yes they do, always good practice when you get home after using CO2 to empty the tube and pump up using normal air.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you have latex tubes, to be expected - less so with butyl tubes
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    This is known. For whatever reason, inner tubes are more permeable to CO2 than to nitrogen/oxygen. Always let the CO2 out and pump them up again once you get home.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Monty Dog wrote:
    If you have latex tubes, to be expected - less so with butyl tubes

Latex, I'd top up everyday, they lose significant pressure regardless of what you inflate them with!
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    simonj wrote:
    No don't think so, could have been valve not shut/tightened up enough.

Yes they do, much quicker, co2 passes through butyl or latex tyres much faster than others - and everything passes through latex pretty quickly.

You can get other gases...
    http://stayfill.com/
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    compared to the bulk constituents of air, carbon dioxide is highly soluble in butyl (and latex), the molecules permeate the material of the tube wall (causing it to swell slightly) and eventually escape

so co2 filled tubes lose pressure faster than air-filled ones
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    No need to let the CO2 out of tyres that you've used a canister on, just pump them up the next time you go out for a ride as the CO2 will have leached out.

Re latex tubes; Nearly went out on Sunday morning without re-pumping up my tubs form the night before, pressure had dropped from around 120psi to 80-90 psi just overnight!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava