Mavic cosmic carbone sls

kierhanlon6
kierhanlon6 Posts: 158
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hello I brought some mavic cosmic carbone sls seem good wheels. I went for a test ride gave the bike some really fast power and it sounds like the brake pads on the back are rubbing there spaced away quite a bit so loosened them right off and still makes the noise is that just the wheels?
Thanks
Kieran

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Hello I brought some mavic cosmic carbone sls seem good wheels. I went for a test ride gave the bike some really fast power and it sounds like the brake pads on the back are rubbing there spaced away quite a bit so loosened them right off and still makes the noise is that just the wheels?
    Thanks
    Kieran

Instead of saying "spaced quite away" and "a bit loosened" can you quantify? Can you get a Vernier and measure how far the pads are? For some 2 mm is "quite far away" for others that's 6 mm
    left the forum March 2023
  • kierhanlon6
    7-8 mm mate.
  • ugo.santalucia
    And if you grab the tyre, can you push it laterally so that the rim touches the pads using just two fingers?
  • kierhanlon6
    Yea this happens mate with 2 fingers
  • ugo.santalucia
    You've got 20 spokes and an alloy rim, the carbon fairing is not structural and doesn't give any rigidity, a bit of flex is to be expected. Too much flex might indicate the spokes have no tension... squeeze them, they should feel in tension... (as a metal cable of the same size feels when a lardy boy is hanging from it) if they are, then all is good and normal, if they are not and they feel slack, you have to return the wheels
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I would also check the seat stays flexing. This is at least as likely. What bike is it?

Bendy seats stays can let the axle location points move, allowing the wheel rim to move across and hit the pads. The stiffer the wheel, the more force applied to the axle points and the worse the problem.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ugo.santalucia
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I would also check the seat stays flexing. This is at least as likely. What bike is it?

Bendy seats stays can let the axle location points move, allowing the wheel rim to move across and hit the pads. The stiffer the wheel, the more force applied to the axle points and the worse the problem.

If you can bend a frame with two fingers, then I would say the frame is made of silicone rubber
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Check your QR tension and bearing preload. With the wheel in the frame and QR done up, is there any side-to-side movement at the hub?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    It might just be the sound of the wheels, my front 50mm carbon tubular wheel make a sound like the brake pads are rubbing, buts its just the acoustics as it goes round.

Try "releasing" the brake either at the caliper (Shimano) or lever (Campag) to widen the brake shoes and give it another try.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • kierhanlon6
    Thanks for all the advice lads. Will loosen the brakes right off tonight and have a go. They come with the qrm hubs what's best to do with them tighten them up ??
    Cheers
  • kierhanlon6
    Thanks for all the advice. My bad it's the acoustic noise of the wheels. I slacked the cables off completely both the front and back. So it's got to be the noise of the wheels. Thanks again
    Kieran
  • I have the exact same sound. I guess nothing came of this and it was just the wheels then?
  • It's the acoustic of the wheels mate. Nothing to worry about it's just the sound they make. Hope u enjoy them