Halfords Service

Barnseyyyy
Barnseyyyy Posts: 52
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Will Halfords fit parts if i don't get them from Halfords?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If they won't most local bike shops will but it will be for a charge.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Don't get Halfords to fit them your LBS will do a MUCH better job and probably cost you less as well
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    jon1993 wrote:
    Don't get Halfords to fit them your LBS will do a MUCH better job and probably cost you less as well

Why? What if the Halfords mechanic is great, and the LBS mechanic is a monkey? One is no more likely than the other in my experience.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd say a local bike shop is more likely to do a better job, but the sweeping statement made is indeed sweeping and in no way true (the will and much are rather leaps of faith!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What parts?
    Maybe read Parktools and try DIY.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    What parts?
    Maybe read Parktools and try DIY.

+1
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    jon1993 wrote:

Not around here. My local bike shop has a rubbish mechanic and my local Halfords has two very good mechanics (who used to work in the other shop!)
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Well there's always the exception I meant that in general of course there's always going to be the odd good person in Halford and bad in a lbs but in general they are better. Just bear in mind that to get a job as a bike mechanic at halfords they ask you to sell them a pen :/ (I know I went for a part time job there and turned it down)
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • cooldad
    jon1993 wrote:
    Just bear in mind that to get a job as a bike mechanic at halfords they ask you to sell them a pen :/ (I know I went for a part time job there and turned it down)
    WTF does that mean anyway?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Actually I have now learned to write and need a pen - so I should buy one from an Halfords mechanic?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It means they ask you for customer skills. My interview there lasted 45 mins.
  • cooldad
    Aaaah. Seems reasonable.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Some Halfords are good, some aren't

Some LBS are good, some aren't

Take your pick.

Personally I'd spend the money on tools and do it yourself, though it does depend what you're wanting fitted.
  • gazmatrix
    gazmatrix Posts: 27
    I agree with doing it yourself, between reading on Parktools and watching Youtube video's it's fairly easy to do most of the repairs/installs... It will also help you get familiar with your Bike should you ever have a breakdown mid trail, I carry a Crank Bros multi with me and can fix most stuff on the side of the trail if needed...