Tyre advice please

richmarriott
richmarriott Posts: 20
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Quite a newbie question... My tyre is buggered after a year on the bike but as I've never bought any road tyres before and I'm really not sure what to go for (getting a pair). I've got inner tubes so need to go for the standard tyres and I'm riding around 80 to 100 miles per week.

Just want to get a gauge for what you all think is a good all round tyre for both wet and dry conditions. I also ride through the winter if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for your help
Rich

Comments

• chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    GPS4000s are a good all rounder. I prefer the 25mm.
  • Thanks! Do I not just go for the same width as I currently have?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Rich,

Have a read of this: viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12967592
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I'm assuming that you have a racing bike with wheels having a tyre width choice between 21 - 25mm to clear the frame. If not, you need to say so or any advice here will be useless!

The Continental GP4000s is more sports orientated and the Conti GP 4 Seasons provide a slightly more robust all year round alternative. I use the 4 Seasons most of the year.

Another good all rounder is the Schwalbe Durano Plus.

There are many alternatives out there, but these are the two all rounders I would suggest. If you want all out sports tyres, then that would be a different story and you would have to accept less durability and more visits from the p*ncture fairies!

Peter
  • Thanks Peter that's perfect, sorry I forgot to mention that I'm on a standard road bike :)

Going for the conti gp 4000s on all the recommendations and reviews. Thanks again all for helping me out.

Rich